Does listening to music pose a safety risk?

Do you think cycling while listening to music poses a potential safety risk?

• Yes

Votes: 52 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I sometimes use a stereo to mono connector and listen to music in my left ear only with a mono earpiece. I recently got a hearing aid for my left ear so even with the music loud enough to hear in light traffic I can still hear lots more than I did for three years before I got the aid. I drive with the radio on and really don't see the issue IF you are sensible. However if you are playing stereo head or earphones loud enough to drown out all outside* noise I guess you are taking a risk.

*Out for a walk today I was passed by a jogger using earphones. I had stereo headphones on too and was listening to the loudest part of Beethoven's 9th. I could hear her Boom, Boom, music over Beethoven when she was 10yds away from me. Now that was too loud!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2090759 said:
I sometimes find other people on a ride singing to be a negative distraction. On other occasions I enjoy it.
I've been a victim of folk not enjoying my singing whilst riding. User13710 didn't enjoy my rendition of 'Blaydon Races' on the climb out of Corbridge. I've no idea why. I have a lovely voice. It has paid my mortgage.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Personally I wouldn't wear earphones while riding through traffic, but I do see plenty of bike riding commuters that do in the morning rush hour. So I guess there would be a demand for "safer" earphones.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The issue of hearing people behind you has already been solved with audiobone which uses the resonance of the skull to transfer the sound while leaving the ear canals open to hear traffic around them.
not sure what you can do more than this

audiobone_use.jpg
are they any good, do they work, can you hear both traffic and 'Today' on Radio 4?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I voted no i listen to my i-pod when im out on my own. I dont see how hearing a veichle coming behind me will save me ? if they are close enough to hit me its irrelevant to me if i hear them or not. I dare say i will get comebacks but hey ho.

Drago

Legendary Member
Even with 'phones at a moderate volume I can still hear more than when in the Wife's Discovery with no music.

In any event I only listen to radio 4 at sufficiently low volume that I can still comfortably hold a conversation. The irony is I used to wear eat plugs on the motorbike.

voted no - but its one of those in the right circumstances thing... used to commute with my headphones on but in one ear only. music on very low, but I had a rural commute with some of it (1/3) off-road and the only things likely to be disturbed were deer and squirrels plus birds, so it was never an issue - the rest was single track country lanes and knowing a vehicle was coming was not difficult. through town, not sure I would, but you always had the option of yanking it out if it was desperate to hear something - its not that different to playing music in the car - you still need to be able to hear what's going on - car horns/sirens etc so technically car music should not be loud either.

EDIT: I will add, I have a tendancy to find myself at the end of an album and not know what happened in between, so its quite possible I block it out as needed and its more just background noise anyhow - its not like I sing along to it or concentrate on getting each and every word sung perfectly

Bigsharn

Veteran
A definite no. Of course it serves as an additional distraction, but so long as the volume of the music is quieter than the volume of the traffic, there's no real danger.

Even with 'phones at a moderate volume I can still hear more than when in the Wife's Discovery with no music.

In any event I only listen to radio 4 at sufficiently low volume that I can still comfortably hold a conversation. The irony is I used to wear eat plugs on the motorbike.

Recent research showed that the "loss" of audible triggers suffered by cyclists using an Ipod at moderate volume is tha same as closingthe car windows!

So if listening to an Ipod is unacceptable, so should closing the car windows

Norm

Recent research showed that the "loss" of audible triggers suffered by cyclists using an Ipod at moderate volume is tha same as closingthe car windows!

If you drive at 15 - 20mph and remove your mirrors, yes. However, if you drive at the same sort of speed as other vehicles and / or use the rear view mirrors in the car, then go ahead and close the windows. :thumbsup:

PK99

Legendary Member

Lovely example of logically nflawed argument: audible triggers are far les important for car drivers - they have mirrors to give a rear view.

Lovely example of logically nflawed argument: audible triggers are far les important for car drivers - they have mirrors to give a rear view.

How is the argument flawed?

Drivers are required by the highway code to be able to hear external triggers:

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
  • loud music (this may mask other sounds)

So the flaw in the argument doesn't actually exist!

The other intersting question raised by your claims is that my trikes are all fitted with rear view mirrors, the same applies to all my bikes which have rear view mirror(s)

In other words when I am on my trikes / bikes audible triggers are far less important than for other riders because they have mirrors to give a rear view?

A very interesting argument!

Are mirrors really a hearing aid?

P5220015.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

Milo

Guru
When my partner was in hospital in Bath regularly throughout her pregnancy and i was cycling to and from there using the same route everyday I used to listen with one earpiece either radio 4 or sometimes some music. Never found it distracting frankly and could still hear cars approaching just fine.

yello

I personally don't do it (have tried but found it too distracting). So obviously I voted 'yes' as I think it can be a risk. If others don't find the same then that's there call and I've no problem with that.

I found that it's not just about being able to hear stuff on the road (I accept the arguments on that point) but if I'm listening to something then I am listening to it, it's not just noise in my ears. This means my full attention is not on what is happening around me. And conversely, if I'm not listening to it and it is just a noise in my ears then I'd rather not have it anyway. So again, a distraction.

Same on my motorbike. The noise of wind and engine means you don't really hear anything else but,even so, music (or whatever) is for me a no-no since it takes my attention away from the road.

Top Bottom