Does McQuaid need his head testing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

On Eurosport it's reported:

The Astana team are set to race at the Vuelta a Espana in September after UCI president Pat McQuaid backed the decision of race organisers Unipublic to invite the Kazakh outfit.

No Sanctions in the current climate isn't this strange?
What about Cofidis?

What about the years wages who is that paid to?

This was a great chance to sweep out the bad teams/managers and start again.
Now all we will hear in September is: 'the questions remain over the Astana squad after the TDF'.

monnet

Guru
I agree. I wonder what goes on in these people's heads sometimes.

Justifies ASO's decision to ditch the UCI though doesn't it?

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

monnet said:
I agree. I wonder what goes on in these people's heads sometimes.

Justifies ASO's decision to ditch the UCI though doesn't it?

in someways.
If a member of a team is caught why not exclude that team from the next grand tour or major classic?

monnet

Guru
It's a good idea. It might not stop organised doping within teams but it will make riders acting alone aware that their actions could adversely affect the rest of the team as well as themselves.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

It wouldn't only stop managers etc. It may make better teams as you would have to get to know the squad to know if you could trust them.
Jonathan Vaughters (slipstream owner) was saying a similar thing yesterday, that football/rugby teams train together and live in a similar area. He dosn't see why cycling teams couldn't do the same then it would stop these men in black, having individual training camps.

Before anyone says Armstrong started the I'm important I'm training alone, he did but it would be easy to implement as each team has enough riders to send some to races then all the others train together, be it in their home base or in training camps say on reconnance of a tour route.

Keith Oates

Janner
Although McQuiad is the head of the UCI I suspect the answer he gave to the Vuelta organistion was done after talking to others in the UCI and no doubt their legal advisers. He may not have been able to give any other answer, legally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Keith Oates said:
Although McQuiad is the head of the UCI I suspect the answer he gave to the Vuelta organistion was done after talking to others in the UCI and no doubt there legal advisers. He may not have been able to give any other answer, legally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he used the words 'in my opinion' he can say what he likes.

spen666

Legendary Member
would you expect to lose your job, because someone else employed in your employers organisation had committed some disciplinary offence?

monnet

Guru
Surely he can offer his own opinion and then state the legal position.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

spen666 said:
would you expect to lose your job, because someone else employed in your employers organisation had committed some disciplinary offence?

No but in my company and any I have worked for everyone is expected to look out for and report any behavour that is against company policy.
In extream cases jobs could be at risk if the company was put at risk.

What I was saying was to miss 1 tour or major race as punishment.

Big T

Guru
Can't see the logic of banning the team from racing. It's only Vino who's been found guilty of doping, so ban him and let the rest of them race.

Man Utd didn't get slung out of the Premiership when Ferdinand missed a dope test.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Big T said:
Can't see the logic of banning the team from racing. It's only Vino who's been found guilty of doping, so ban him and let the rest of them race.

Man Utd didn't get slung out of the Premiership when Ferdinand missed a dope test.

But your not telling me that team mates don't have an idea of who is/isn't or who's behaviour has changed.
As to man utd, footbal hasn't got a drugs problem that is public and need drastic measures to change public/sponsors persception of it.
So why not ban a team. Think of the message it would send to the winer sporting community?

McQuaud simply needs to lean to obey his own rules!

Whilst I do not support drug taking I do like to see proper evidence!

He has too foten made comments and statements on "A" samples without waiting for the "B" sample confirmation that is the legal requirement. He has also failed to address the poor practice, corruption and maladministration in the labs.

To be a real deterrent the system needs to be above reproach.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Would you ban Cofidis because they had a rider test positive,? I don't have a problem with Astana riding the Vuelta, they have already been punished by being kicked out of the tour, and unless it can be shown they were complicit in Vino's drug abuse I think the decision is correct.

Although the fight against doping must be maintained and seen to be tough, you have got to have natural justice as well.

Keith Oates

Janner
Cunobelin said:
McQuaud simply needs to lean to obey his own rules!

Whilst I do not support drug taking I do like to see proper evidence!

He has too foten made comments and statements on "A" samples without waiting for the "B" sample confirmation that is the legal requirement. He has also failed to address the poor practice, corruption and maladministration in the labs.
To be a real deterrent the system needs to be above reproach.
It wsn't that long ago that he was being chastised for not commenting or taking action on 'A' samples, seems he can't win whatever he does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom