Does overtaking cars get any better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
On the way to work today, lots of traffic, cars backed and slow moving. I was filtering through, plus beating cars on to the roundabout. I felt great, it was a great rush, I could just imagine car drivers being like "what the fu£k" when I pass them.

It's a nice feeling. I remember a car trying to block me from overtaking. So I decided to pass successfully on the other side with a big grin on my face.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cycling past a load of stationary traffic is a great feeling. One would expect most drivers would watch us progressing on our journey both easily and cheaply and think "I should get me one of those"

Steady

Über Member
I had the misfortune of needing to drive into town today at 9am. I just looked at the traffic and thought.. "My God, if some of you were cyclists everything would be different".

I spotted a cyclist at an island, using the cycle path, female slow rider, saddle too low and then when I'd parked up, and come out I saw the exact same female cyclist - I'm pretty certain she was in a happier state of mind and from the point we met there was no difference in terms of transport time.

mattobrien

Guru
My favourite overtake of a car was when they were driving through Woodbridge (local town) at about 25 mph, I could see it was clear, pushed a little harder and overtook them on the outside.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
On Alpine descents it isn't bad either. Best one so far was a motor home, motorbike and car in one go. They didn't catch me until the end of the descent 10km further on.

Sailing past stationary traffic on the normal commute home is so utterly the norm, I only really notice it if some some dreadful reason I actually have to drive a car, and I'm stuck in the queue of cars, and I see a cyclist go past.

ChrisTh

I am pretty used to the overtaking stuff, after riding motorbikes for a fair few years in quiet the normal, except a little less power...

I love it when the traffic in to Swanley is backed up of an evening, makes the climb up the hill so much easier when you are doing it overtaking stationary cars.

What direction do you go in/out of swanley from? I work near asda, wondering if your one of the peeps I see on my daily commute.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I love it when the traffic in to Swanley is backed up of an evening, makes the climb up the hill so much easier when you are doing it overtaking stationary cars.
I like overtaking stationery cars too.

P_Car_Uchiyama.JPG

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
What direction do you go in/out of swanley from? I work near asda, wondering if your one of the peeps I see on my daily commute.

I do one of West Kingsdown, Swanley or Sidcup to Greenwich in and then similar back, tend to be going through Swanley between 07:45 and 08:15 depending on how quickly I could get out of bed, I go round the service road behind the shops on the way in out of habit. Coming back through is more consistent time wise, I'd be passing Asda (I take the road round it rather than through the precinct coming back) at 17:50 give or take 5 minutes. I'm pretty easy to spot as I'm always in a black MET parachute (the full face helment made up of holes) with an orange hydration pack on and am either on a black and white Cannondale Synapse or dark grey/black Specialized Sirrus. Clothing changes around a bit depending on which one has had the most airing time, although it'll always be lycra of some kind, possibly with an Altura Nightvision waterproof over the top if the weather is that way inclined (I really need to buy myself a thin waterproof!).

I'll probably be swearing as Swanley consistently has the worst drivers of my whole commute. Normally it's only Audi's, small Toyotas and vans & bigger I need to really watch out for, come Swanley it's anything with wheels and a motor. :-)

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 3127418, member: 45"]A motorcyclist once said those very words to me after I passed him for the third time.[/QUOTE]
He clearly wasn't a motorcyclist but somebody who rode a motorcycle, you wouldn't be passing me & that's without breaking a single law.

Alan..

Top Bottom