Does Standover Height Matter At All?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Because the top tube goes up into his crotch. You are supposed to have at least a few cms room to stand over it.
The top tube is not supposed to be right up crushing your crotch.
This is important if you come off quickly.
I stand over mine all the time.
Bike manufacturers/shops etc advise you to have a bit of room, they cant all be totally wrong can they?

Alex321

Veteran
Because the top tube goes up into his crotch. You are supposed to have at least a few cms room to stand over it.
The top tube is not supposed to be right up crushing your crotch.
This is important if you come off quickly.
I've never come off quickly in such a way that the bike stays upright. The only times I have ever come off it quickly enough for that to potentially be an issue have been when crashing.

I stand over mine all the time.

OK.

I can't remember the last time I did. I normally stay with my backside on the saddle when stopping, and just put one foot down. Even if I move off the saddle, I will be leaning the bike slightly. I only normally even unclip the second foot if I'm going to be getting off the bike.

Obviously you handle stops differently to me. I haven't really studied other riders enough to know which is more common.

Bike manufacturers/shops etc advise you to have a bit of room, they cant all be totally wrong can they?

It is probably better to have some room, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't. It is not the most important factor in whether a bike is right for you IMO.

I would certainly agree it shouldn't be so high you can't touch the ground on both sides at once, but not necessarily with feet flat.

icowden

Veteran
Just my two-pennorth but the bike doesn't look too big for you. At the end of the day it's between you and your wedding tackle. I have somewhat the reverse problem in that I have broad shoulders, am 5'6" but only have 28 inch legs. My bike is the right size for me*, but I have similar wedding tackle issues if I have to stop where there isn't a kerb and try to evenly straddle the crossbar. I find that I go forward and down onto my left foot and tilt the bike to the left as I land, which solves the problem.

*had to replace the handlebars it came with for a wider set though

Alex321

Veteran
If your Crown Jewels come in a compact package.

Not really.

You just lean the bike a little if you want to stand on the ground while over the top tube.

The suggestion that it matters if you somehow slip off the saddle just seems silly to me. In those circumstances, you aren't going to be getting feet on the ground quickly enough to prevent hitting the tube with your sensitive bits, even if not using clips.

Maybe "doesn't matter at all" was a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure it is better if you have room to stand over it (even though I doubt many of us often do), but it certainly isn't the most important measurement.

Having clearance over the top tube is not important at all. How often as a cyclist do you even think of standing over it?

Pretty much very time I stop. I don't really use a rolling dismount. We all have our own techniques. I like to be able to restart my ride easily, but can't track stand, so for me its stand over the crossbar or stand next to the bike. Stand over is useful.

The suggestion that it matters if you somehow slip off the saddle just seems silly to me. In those circumstances, you aren't going to be getting feet on the ground quickly enough to prevent hitting the tube with your sensitive bits, even if not using clips.

I did not crash, I had to brake really hard, ended up standing painfully astride the crossbar after stepping forward off the pedals due to momentum. No clips on the bike. A pheasant had run out from the bank/verge as I was going down a hill (fortunately I was descending fairly slowly as there was a bend I could see at the bottom of the slope). I did not fancy killing said bird or for that matter picking mangled (possibly still living) bits of bird out of spokes or chainwheel. Only time I have actually skidded on a bike from braking so hard. Fortunately the bike held its line rather than twisting out from under me, so the bike and I both stopped upright and the pheasant, unimpressed at my own survival, safely continued its maniac travel across the country lane.

I could not go around the bird as the lane was narrow and the stupid thing was running back and forth once it saw the bike comming, undecided which verge was the safest. I think pheasants are the thickest animal I have ever come across, but they are very beautiful and the poor thing was in such a panic. Alway look back on this scene with both amusement and relief - the whole thing must have looked like some kind of cartoon to those not involved.:blink:

gcogger

How often as a cyclist do you even think of standing over it?
Pretty much very time I stop. I don't really use a rolling dismount. We all have our own techniques. I like to be able to restart my ride easily, but can't track stand, so for me its stand over the crossbar or stand next to the bike. Stand over is useful.

Same for me - I stand over the top tube just about every time I stop, which makes standover height an important factor.

Alex321

Veteran
Same for me - I stand over the top tube just about every time I stop, which makes standover height an important factor.

After having said yesterday that I stay on the saddle, I realised during today's commute that just isn't true.

I do stand over the top tube - but still with only my left foot on the ground, the right stays clipped in, so I am still leaning the bike a bit to the left.

icowden

Veteran
After having said yesterday that I stay on the saddle, I realised during today's commute that just isn't true.

I do stand over the top tube - but still with only my left foot on the ground, the right stays clipped in, so I am still leaning the bike a bit to the left.

Exactly. And because I am deficient in the leg length department, my bike usually leans about 40 degrees :-)

I try - wherever possible to stop next to kerbs, which means I don't have to stand over.

Alex321

Veteran
Exactly. And because I am deficient in the leg length department, my bike usually leans about 40 degrees :-)

I try - wherever possible to stop next to kerbs, which means I don't have to stand over.

Yes, I have short legs too - 5' 9" but only 29" inseam.

Some of the bike sites where they ask you to put in your dimensions to give the size of bike for you won't accept mine.

gcogger

Similar for me, I think, for at least some of the time. I don't clip in (I use MTB pedals), but I sometimes have one foot on the ground and one still on the pedal.

Top Bottom