Carradice SQR mount failing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a nearly 100 mile ride on Tuesday, including 30 miles in the peak district and easily the hardest ride I've done in over a year. Then the bike sat quietly until this morning when I went for a ride with @vickster on reasonably busy roads. Approaching 11, she wanted to stop for 2 minutes silence (16 years in UK, and I never realised they did this on the Sunday. I do on the 11th normally). Anyway, we took our bikes off the road, and as I wheeled mine gently down a kerb, the carradice SQR fitting failed, and my bag crashed to the ground. This was the best place and time this could have happened over the week's 13 hours of cycling.

Oh, and the replacement part is only £3+ postage and I'll remember to check it for wear every 20,000km or so.

IMG_20141109_141440265.jpg

ScotiaLass

Guru
I went for a nearly 100 mile ride on Tuesday, including 30 miles in the peak district and easily the hardest ride I've done in over a year. Then the bike sat quietly until this morning when I went for a ride with @vickster on reasonably busy roads. Approaching 11, she wanted to stop for 2 minutes silence (16 years in UK, and I never realised they did this on the Sunday. I do on the 11th normally). Anyway, we took our bikes off the road, and as I wheeled mine gently down a kerb, the carradice SQR fitting failed, and my bag crashed to the ground. This was the best place and time this could have happened over the week's 13 hours of cycling.

Oh, and the replacement part is only £3+ postage and I'll remember to check it for wear every 20,000km or so.

View attachment 61270
Oops! At least it wasn't while you were cycling.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
She does, and is known as the 'fixings fairy', though the first word may be replaced with any other beginning with f dependent on how far from home you are..

The carradice fairy struck again on Saturday, at the end of a 100km ride. I think the rings were the ones from my other bike (I have two SQR blocks) so were not new, and I've done about 10,000km since I the above. After briefly considering alternatives, I've ordered 3 sets, and I will keep one set handy for when this happens again.

The barley would have been pretty heavy on Saturday, with a change of clothes and a pair of shoes, and my fahgettaboudit lock, but well under the 10kg maximum.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The best timed bike failure I've come across was when I went on an Alps tour with a mate who'd got a new custom Longstaff disc brake touring bike. Discs were a new toy, and he liked to brake hard. There weren't any lawyer lips, and the disc brake overpowered the QR and pulled the front wheel out of the dropouts.

Rather than this happening half an hour earlier when we'd been dropping down the Galibier, it happened just as we were pulling to a stop in the entrance to Briançon campsite, at a low enough speed that he more or less stepped of the bike.
The forks got bent, but there was a decent bike shop within walking distance that had a replacement pair (Cannondale, iirc), we were due a rest day anyway (would probably have been Guillestre if the bike hadn't been broken), and Briançon was pretty much the only place we went though big enough to have a good bike shop (other than Valence (start) or Nice (finish)).

Top Bottom