Does the pro peloton smell bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
The only justifiable reason for buying lots of bike clobber is to have a fresh set available when dirty kit is in the wash.

I use HALO Sports Wash. Seems to work OK (it has a purfumed residue). SWMBO says I smell like a tart as I go out.

It isn't rocket science or hard labour to wash out bike kit as soon as you get home and give it a spin in the washing m/c. It's dry in an hour or two.

Sorry to bang on, it's one of my hobby horses. If riders are clean, tidy and well presented, we may get a bit more respect on the road. The same goes for keeping machines clean.

festival

Über Member
Sorry to bang on, it's one of my hobby horses. If riders are clean, tidy and well presented, we may get a bit more respect on the road. The same goes for keeping machines clean.[/quote]

Well said.
And of course you go faster.

oldroadman

Veteran
Keeping kit and yourself clean is essential. The cause of most problems in the delicate area are down to hygiene. If you keep clean sweat does not smell, as has been said it's unwashed kit and bodies that stink. No excuses, showers and washing machines are all that's needed.
And quite right, it's a good excuse to have plenty of kit - have you ever smelt a basket of kit that's been waiting a day or two to go into the wash - truly stinky.
Of course, nowadays I hardly ever go fast enough to raise much of a sweat anyway!

Octet

Veteran
Also by cleaning your kit it shall last longer so it is a win, win situation.
It isn't so much rubbing that causes the fabrics (for example in cycling shorts) to become translucent and eventually need throwing out but instead it is the chemical reactions that are a result of the bacteria.

Hont

Guru
I think it was in "A significant other" by Matt Rendell that he describes Jan Ullrich having an attack of the squits during a stage of the tour and all his teammates pouring water over him because he smelt so bad. But I guess that's not really the type of smell to which you were referring.

mangaman

I think it was in "A significant other" by Matt Rendell that he describes Jan Ullrich having an attack of the squits during a stage of the tour and all his teammates pouring water over him because he smelt so bad. But I guess that's not really the type of smell to which you were referring.

I was just about to compose the same post.

It was "A Significant Other" that described the delightful odour of Jan after the aftereffects of a dodgy pie or 2. I think it lasted all day if memory serves.

byegad

Legendary Member

Yes and I had in mind another rider, from slightly longer ago who endured the squits while riding. I was about to look up the name but never mind the smelly point is made.

Top Bottom