Does this sound weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Losidan

The last week I have been spending most of my rides on my old road bike...12 speed and down tube shifters...

Back on the MTB this week and I felt quite a bit stronger than before...
I was wondering if a combination of bigger gears and having to ride in a more narrow position which crunches your chest up makes it easier when you are on the wider MTB?

Does that sound logical??

On reflection...maybe it is just I got loaded up on pear drops and peanut brittle before riding!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, as a MTBer who recently started road riding I can tell you it's because you don't train on an MTB but you do on a road bike.

I wish I'd started road riding 20 years ago - I'd have done a lot better at the MTB events I've entered.

The other error I made whn at the peak of my MTB mania was to go out two or three times a week so that I was in a permanent state of tiredness. I didn't allow myself to rest.

I train on both my mtb (you can train on a mtb) and my road bike, but for different reasons. On a road bike you'll stay in a single gear and at a steady cadence for longer periods than on a mtb and you'll be able to push a larger gear up hill as you'll not be balancing effort against traction on the dirt.
Also I can concentrate on improving pedaling motion while on the road bike more than while mtbing where I'm more focused on the trail ahead.

bonk man

When I used to race I trained as much as possible on the road, including doing time trials , I reckon it was all helpful and the mountain biking skills always helped when I took off road excursions when not concentrating as I should or got elbowed onto the grass verge by club mates in the sprint for the 30 sign:biggrin:

Riding the road will increase your leg speed and smoothness. All miles are good miles:smile:

Top Bottom