Dog sitting/walking services

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am idly thinking of getting a dog, but I live alone in a flat and I am away at work much of the time. Dogs need company. What are dog sitters like? I get the impression there are more people running dog-walking services and the like.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you’re away a lot during the day, do not get a dog. In the first year they need a lot of attention and training. A lot more attention than you might think.

Skanker

I’m currently moored in Walton on Thames and I am starting to think I am the only person that walks their own dog around here.
Dogs walkers cost over £10 per hour and I have seen how badly some of them are with other people’s dogs. They walk along, phone in hand or chatting to their dog walker friends and not paying any attention to the dog, ruining all your previous training.
You may as well just throw £10 notes in the river on the way to work!
I only work 4 hours a day and I don’t really like leaving my dog alone for that long, but there is no way I will trust someone with no provable experience to look after my dog!

D

Deleted member 26715

Put bluntly, if you can't look after one, don't get one. They're not fashion accessories for the home. Take up another hobby instead.
I don't think it's that blunt at all I think that it is sage advice. There should be a registration process before you can own a dog if you fail it you can't own one, I hate the nanny state, but as said dogs are not toys.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'm a professional house dog sitter, well that what I like to call myself,;) and believe me all animals need/like company, the amount of sad dogs I see during the year is enough to make you cry all they need is food a walk and a cuddle now and again, but most owners miss out the last bit.
I have been told many time by the owners that their dog seems different after a week with me, I don't say anything as I want their money so I keep my trap shut.
As others have said “a dog in not a pet you pat on the head when you come home from work”, sorry.

Skanker

I'm a professional house dog sitter, well that what I like to call myself,;) and believe me all animals need/like company, the amount of sad dogs I see during the year is enough to make you cry all they need is food a walk and a cuddle now and again, but most owners miss out the last bit.
I have been told many time by the owners that their dog seems different after a week with me, I don't say anything as I want their money so I keep my trap shut.
As others have said “a dog in not a pet you pat on the head when you come home from work”, sorry.
You sound like one of the few good dog sitters/walkers, at least you understand the affection a dog requires and it’s probably the only affection those dogs get!
They get very attached to their owners and require physical contact to feel comfortable and happy.
Too many dog owners have no clue how to make their own dog happy.
It goes both ways too though, the pleasure you can get from your dog being happy and wanting to be with you cannot be replaced by anything else.
I slept on the floor with my dog last night, we both fell asleep at about 8:30 while I was laying down stroking her.
Probably the best nights sleep I have had in months, and also one of the very few times she has slept late.

D

Deleted member 26715

I take it you don't have a small dog you carry round in a manbag vantage.
Better to have one & take it everywhere with you than leave one locked up for 8-10 hours a day then ignore it when you come in because you're too tired to exercise it, not you are in you personally you understand unless you do then shame on you ^_^

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to have a dog walking business.
Yep, I charged £10 an hour, but the hour started when I started walking, not when I arrived at the dog's home.
I enjoyed the work, even in the rain. I was fully insured and would 'interview' the owners first. I had to be able to gel with the dog before taking it on to walk. I would find out what training the dog has, the preferred commands etc. and I would go, with the owner, for a test walk.

Always check the insurance, ask to the the Insurance Certificate.

Top Bottom