Dog Trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
My dog has to go to my Mums for dog sitting when I'm at work.

She only lives about three miles away, but because he's a bit over excitable he can't be trusted to run alongside while I'm riding.

Can anyone recomend a dog trailer?

It would need to be quick to hitch up and un hitch as I'd want to take it off and leav it at Mums til I collected him. I'd also need it to be big - he's a labrador and wieghs about 30kg.
As wehe's only going to be in it for a few minutes, it doesn't matter about it being weather tight, but as he's very stupid, him not being able to jump out is quite important!!

The other thing is, is it a totally stupid idea, I've never cycled with a trailer - laden or otherwise, and 30kg dog + weight of trailer = alot of weight. Route to my Mums is fairly flat, so I wont have to lug it uphill. Any thoughts?

Lee_M

Guru
you can get a dog walker attachement (the walkydog?) that can more securely fasten your dog to your bike - less likely to then go mad, - I used to use one for my dog before she got too old.

should also say it takes about 5 seconds to unclip from the bike too

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
you can get a dog walker attachement (the walkydog?) that can more securely fasten your dog to your bike - less likely to then go mad, - I used to use one for my dog before she got too old.

should also say it takes about 5 seconds to unclip from the bike too
Thanks Lee, I've seen those but I couldn't consider using one with my dog, he's totally unpredicatable and if he suddenly decided to run he'd be more than capable of pulling the bike out from under me.
I've tried riding with his lead over my wrist but it felt very unsafe.

Robson3022

What have you tried to ride your bike with the dog attached? I found with my Husky that he was wild the first few times but eventually he got the hang of it and was a great way to tire him out. There are lots of ways to do it its just finding the one that works for you and your dog.

Try running him short distances at first on a Halti and hopefully he will get the hang of it.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
What have you tried to ride your bike with the dog attached? I found with my Husky that he was wild the first few times but eventually he got the hang of it and was a great way to tire him out. There are lots of ways to do it its just finding the one that works for you and your dog.

Try running him short distances at first on a Halti and hopefully he will get the hang of it.
The route I take him is partly in a local park, so we've had a fair go at getting him to run along on the lead, but it just isn't happening and we've had quite a few close shaves, I'm afraid!

I just dont trust him!

Lee_M

Guru
Thanks Lee, I've seen those but I couldn't consider using one with my dog, he's totally unpredicatable and if he suddenly decided to run he'd be more than capable of pulling the bike out from under me.
I've tried riding with his lead over my wrist but it felt very unsafe.

oh God that would feel unsafe

the walkydog is completely different, it attaches to the frame on the seat upright so very difficult for the dog to pull you over as hes fighting you and the bike and gyroscopic effects and not just the strength of your wrist!

Serioulsy they are very safe

Robson3022

^^^^ Ive seen these and they work. Its a shame not to use the route as some form of exercise for him.

Sorry I cant really help with your question of the trailer though!

ebay

I've got a Lab and I've taught him to run alongside the bike. If I need to attach him I put a jogging lead over the seatpost and not attached to me! My weight and the low centre of gravity of the pull means you feel him but there's no danger or little danger of being pulled over.

Jogging leads have some elasticity and he wears a chest harness, which he doesn't pull as much on anyway, but it stops direct and sudden pulls on his neck.

Lee_M

Guru
ebay

I've got a Lab and I've taught him to run alongside the bike. If I need to attach him I put a jogging lead over the seatpost and not attached to me! My weight and the low centre of gravity of the pull means you feel him but there's no danger or little danger of being pulled over.

Jogging leads have some elasticity and he wears a chest harness, which he doesn't pull as much on anyway, but it stops direct and sudden pulls on his neck.

the walkydog has a spring system - adjustable for tension and strength, so it keeps the dog attached but not tight

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Oh dear..... I just don't think it would be safe to attatch my dog to a bike. I don't want to go into detail, but he's quite difficult to manage - If you've read Marley and me, thats more or less him in a nutshell.

the walkydog has a spring system - adjustable for tension and strength, so it keeps the dog attached but not tight
Yeah, I looked at them. Apart from having to attach it to your bike, I don't like the way it sticks out, I could just see it skewering pooch in an accident or catching on something and the method I described works just as well, with the added advantage that you just slip it on and off as and when.

Lee_M

Guru
it
Yeah, I looked at them. Apart from having to attach it to your bike, I don't like the way it sticks out, I could just see it skewering pooch in an accident or catching on something and the method I described works just as well, with the added advantage that you just slip it on and off as and when.

only sticks out about a foot and a half, plus it keeps the dog away from the bike wheel which a logging lead wont - my main issue was always a fear of my dog running under the wheel and she cant do that with one of these

Lee_M

Guru
Oh dear..... I just don't think it would be safe to attatch my dog to a bike. I don't want to go into detail, but he's quite difficult to manage - If you've read Marley and me, thats more or less him in a nutshell.

well its your choice of course, but it really is the safest way, it is nothing like trying to hold onto a lead or having it wrapped around your wrist :smile:

but I'm not going to get into the discussion about the safety of trailers as we did that a couple of weeks ago

it

only sticks out about a foot and a half, plus it keeps the dog away from the bike wheel which a logging lead wont - my main issue was always a fear of my dog running under the wheel and she cant do that with one of these

Yeah, that's true, I trained him to stay away from the wheels and I can use my leg to control the lead when he's on it, which isn't that much. Not for everyone I suppose but ultimately I didn't want a big lump of metal sticking out my bike when I went mtn biking with him. In different circumstances for different purposes I may have chosen one.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
well its your choice of course, but it really is the safest way, it is nothing like trying to hold onto a lead or having it wrapped around your wrist :smile:

but I'm not going to get into the discussion about the safety of trailers as we did that a couple of weeks ago
I think I've missed the trailer safety thread, I'll look it up.

Top Bottom