Dog Trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I think I've missed the trailer safety thread, I'll look it up.

dont do that, it has lots of opinion and emotion, and not a lot about facts (it was about safety of children in trailers!)

Gary E

Veteran
Something like THIS? It folds flat so it won't take up much room at your mum's place and it has a pin so that you can quickly connect/disconnect it from your bike.

Failing that I imaging a normal child trailer (a twin one would probably be better suited and take the 30kg) with a nice soft cushion. It could either be totally enclosed so that he can't jump out or you could get one of those doggy seat belt harnesses or belts and clip him in.

Gary E

Veteran
Failing that there are always other options available to you....

customer-projects-dog-sulky-4-lg.jpg

....although the trip home might not be so easy :sad:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I use a dog trailer like the one that Gary E links to for my Westie, and he gets on fine in it. He's fidgety at first, but soon settles down. Different kettle of fish to your lab of course, as my little mutt is only 8kg. To attach the trailer there is a pin that fits under the rear wheel nut on the left hand side. This is the only part that is permanently fitted to the bike. The trailer hook-up attaches to this pin, secured in place with a retaining clip. Rigmarole is assemble trailer, install dog, attach trailer to bike, mount bike and ride. It's easier with someone to help of course, but can be done single handed.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sara, I'm considering this for taking my cat to the vet. It is suitable for up to 7 stone/50 Kg cargo. Have a look, could be used for shopping too.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
What do folks think about the weight? Most of the trailers seem to be about 15kg, our dog is about 28kg. Ive never towed a trailer before, I just don't know if I'm up to it.

Gary E

Veteran
Just ride in a lower gear and take it steady. It'll take you a little longer to get up to speed and you'll need to break a little earlier or harder because of the extra momentum. Once you're up to speed you won't notice much differance. To be honest you'll probably do all that unconsciously anyway because you'll be wanting to give your dog a smooth ride :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What do folks think about the weight? Most of the trailers seem to be about 15kg, our dog is about 28kg. Ive never towed a trailer before, I just don't know if I'm up to it.
Got one, Sara, used it today for the first time: read a review here :hello:

Top Bottom