Dogs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Elliot still gets rather excited about bikes, so I keep him on the lead where there is cyclists about - can't wait till he is a bit older though and can learn to run next to the bike! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ravelin said:
By the sounds if it you've trained your dog pretty well, and some cyclists/people are just beyond help.

The problem is probably that while the OP knows his dog is under control, anyone else doesn't, until it is demonstrated - and we all know that once you have one bad experience, you start to make assumptions. And some people are quicker to make assumptions than others, and so on.

I agree that a well controlled, but loose, dog, is better than one pulling at a long lead. Trouble is, it's easier to see a lead (even a thin one) than it is to 'see' the level of training a dog has, so the assumption is that the lead works better - until proved otherwise, by which time, the impetuous will already have made their minds up to be cross....

Fnaar said:
Can your dog time-travel? :tongue: He covers a lot of ground between seconds 19 and 29! :smile:

It's funny that but I've suspected him of it for some time. Everytime I lose sight of him he pops up somewhere unexpected. Mind you, he is a K nine :biggrin:

Debian

I await the opprobrium to be aimed in my direction.

I don't care how well trained a dog is, it remains an unpredictable wild animal at heart and you can never be sure what it will do and how it will react to a variety of stimuli. If around other people, and especially on a relatively confined shared space such as a canal towpath or shared footpath a dog should always, without exception, be on a short lead. Likewise on any sort of road, including footpaths and bridleways.

If training was all encompassing then police dog handlers wouldn't bother keeping their dogs on leads, but they do, just in case.

To be fair, I don't usually have a problem with dogs, but often enough, I do, usually in the confined path situation.

punkypossum said:
Elliot still gets rather excited about bikes, so I keep him on the lead where there is cyclists about - can't wait till he is a bit older though and can learn to run next to the bike! :thumbsup:

Punky, Go down to Pooch appeal on this website. The advice is spot on.

Nice one Crackle - that does look really good!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Personally I don't usually have a problem with dogs. But GF does. She is terrified. Just seeing one off it's lead and she starts to panic. I'd hate to think of the consequences of her cycling down a road and seeing a dog, not on lead, on the pavement suddenly.
As Debian said, they are, at heart, just wild animals that we allow to live with us. And as such are unpredictable. Especially in confined spaces such as toe-paths and on woodland paths.
If there are other people around, owners of dogs should put them on leads as they do not know what their history with dogs is. They don't know how they feel being close to an animal they do not know or does not know them.
My sister was killed when she was 4 (I was 5). She was scared of dogs and ran into the road to get away from one.

Top Bottom