Doing something wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Facing a month's lock down here in France and limited to exercise within a 1km radius, I have made some rollers following YouTube vids and using some old hubs. Unfortunately I can't turn the pedals even in the lowest gear. The hubs are 30cm apart. Any advice would be welcome. Thank-you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Facing a month's lock down here in France and limited to exercise within a 1km radius, I have made some rollers following YouTube vids and using some old hubs. Unfortunately I can't turn the pedals even in the lowest gear. The hubs are 30cm apart. Any advice would be welcome. Thank-you.
It would help if you can post some photographs of the rollers.

Do the hubs turn without the bike on them?

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

It would help if you can post some photographs of the rollers.

Do the hubs turn without the bike on them?
Yes they do. I have stripped them down and greased them. I can turn the cranks by hand but as soon as I put my 75kg self in the saddle they barely move.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes they do. I have stripped them down and greased them. I can turn the cranks by hand but as soon as I put my 75kg self in the saddle they barely move.
As it happens when you sit on the bike, is the framework flexing and therefore bending the axles and so putting undue pressure on the bearings?

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

As it happens when you sit on the bike, is the framework flexing and therefore bending the axles and so putting undue pressure on the bearings?
I hadn't thought of that. I will get my wife to sit on it tomorrow and check that out. Thanks for the idea.

I thought that our Melbourne Oz 5km radius was restrictive!
Anyway Choina Virus almost under control now and we can go anywhere in the State of Victoria.
Most State borders are still closed to Victorians.

Mike

OP
OP
nagden

nagden

Blimey! Does that restriction include cycling to shops? I mean if you live further away than that, what do they expect you do if you don't have a car?
You are allowed to use your bike as a primary transport but for recreation the 1km radius applies. There seems to be pressure mounting on the goverment to increase this to 5km, still not great but it does open your options.

Top Bottom