Doing up a Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

My brother has given me an old Dawes Galaxy to do up for use between us, not sure of the age, but is British built.

It's not in brilliant condition and needs some work doing to it, I realise it may cost more than it's worth, but I like the idea of restoring a Brummie built bike.

On the frame is a label saying Reynolds 531 Super Tourer, and etched into the handle bars is Dawes, hand built in England.

Tyres are completely flat, will check it tomorrow to see if can be made to run without having to buy new tyres straight away. The hub on the rear is Deore, as is the triple cranks. The brake levers and the deraileurs are Exige? (never heard of them).

Anyway, I will check the frame in daylight tomorrow, but how do you tell if there is any rust inside the tubing?

Also, will a frame like this take my weight, with me being over 19st? Would hate to break it :ohmy:

Zoiders

Exage is an 80s groupset from Shimano, it's the fore runner of Sora but better quality.

I would pop the rear wheel out and check the OLN.

Depending on age it may spring back to 126/130mm-ish if it's an old one from the days of screw on blocks and it has had a Deore shoved in there spreading the rear triangle to 135mm, if thats the case the wheel may be out of dish for the frame.

If it stays at a solid 135mm it's late 80's onwards.

Yes it will take 19 stone as long as it's rust free.

You can check for rust by having a good look at the lugs for rust weeping out of the lugs, look inside the seat tube as well with a torch. The final test is to check the BB and the chain stay bridge, if it has rotted then it will show there first. If the chain stay bridge has rotted out you can tell how deep it goes with a screw driver and a bit of probing.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

So Deore is part of the MTB range then? hence 135mm, great tip thanks.

I have 135mm wheels on my hybrid so could transfer those over for a test ride.

Zoiders

Check the OLN first.

If it has a Deore shoved in there and it's a 126mm frame they would have to redish the wheel, the ones of the hybrid would not just drop in without the rim constantly rubbing on the brake pad.

If it's a newer 135mm frame it won't be a problem.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Some Galaxy's from 90's had an internal cable routing (rear brake cable goes into and then out of the top tube) Small amount of water gets in and rusts out the top tube.
With the exception of those models they are pretty bomb proof.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
if you strip it entirely, and hang it up, then it should "ping" like a musical triangle when struck. there's bound to be some rust in there, but if it's structurally compromised, then it will "dud" like a lead pipe.
whilst it's stripped, squirt the inside of every tube with waxoyl or dinitrol.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Zoiders said:
Check the OLN first.

If it has a Deore shoved in there and it's a 126mm frame they would have to redish the wheel, the ones of the hybrid would not just drop in without the rim constantly rubbing on the brake pad.

If it's a newer 135mm frame it won't be a problem.

Tried the hybrid wheel, the frame is too tight for it (without a bit of a push), and the wheel off the Galaxy is too loose for the hybrid, so must be 130mm or less. Where is the measurement taken? Between the two inner faces of the dropouts?

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

porkypete said:
Some Galaxy's from 90's had an internal cable routing (rear brake cable goes into and then out of the top tube) Small amount of water gets in and rusts out the top tube.
With the exception of those models they are pretty bomb proof.

Gear cables are externally routed under the BB.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

hubgearfreak said:
if you strip it entirely, and hang it up, then it should "ping" like a musical triangle when struck. there's bound to be some rust in there, but if it's structurally compromised, then it will "dud" like a lead pipe.
whilst it's stripped, squirt the inside of every tube with waxoyl or dinitrol.

OK sounds worth a go.

Here is some pics - I'm a bit concerned about the forks, and there is some minor signs on the frame itself. Wonder if it's worth rebuilding or scrapping - suggestions anyone?

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

A couple more general shots - the tyres are rotted and the wheels have had it I think. Needs a good clean and most parts will need to be renewed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Renew the levers - Shimano do them for about £30 a pair.. mechs and gear leavers can be saved with a damn good clean and strip and service....

If you have the budget, get the 531 ST frame repainted with decals..... classic frame..

It uses canti's - fair few folk on here can advise..... got Shimano XT's on my old MTB.....

The handle bar stem looks like Cinelli 1A - just get a 'polisher' on it.......

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

fossyant said:
Renew the levers - Shimano do them for about £30 a pair.. mechs and gear leavers can be saved with a damn good clean and strip and service....

If you have the budget, get the 531 ST frame repainted with decals..... classic frame..

It uses canti's - fair few folk on here can advise..... got Shimano XT's on my old MTB.....

The handle bar stem looks like Cinelli 1A - just get a 'polisher' on it.......

Yes, would look nice in black I think.

About the levers, thinking of converting to index gears on the handlebars, never ridden drop bars though (since I was a kid) so need to look into that.

Sun Superlight

I've almost finished restoring a much older (and rustier) Dawes 'Super Galaxy' than yours, so I wouldn't be to worried about the age and condition of yours.
Mine is so old it that had 120mm rear dropout spacing that I've since re-spaced to 126mm to take a 6 speed freewheel instead of the worn out 5 that was fitted.
Whilst doing the rebuild I cut off some of the original brazed on cable stops and lamp brackets and added others, which included water bottle and rear carrier bosses to bring it up to date.
Sadly it had a a fair bit of rust inside the tubes, but my obliging 20 stone mate tested it for me by riding it down Wood House Lane, Halifax, which is the long steep cobble'd hill featured in the cycling film 'A Good Day Out'
He rode it at a frightening speed too.
I've since treated the inside of the tubes with 'Steelgard', a spray on industrial coating that forms a greasy film to prevent further corrosion, so hopefully it should last a few more years yet.
(Any help with dating my Galaxy would be appreciated) as there is no frame number anywhere on it other than DAVIS COMPONENTS 58-63 stamped on the bottom bracket.
When the lining out is finished I'll post a few pictures of it on the forum.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

I think mine is probably '80's if not earlier. It has two bottle holder positions and has two lugs on each side of the forks and rear dropouts for panniers and guards I presume.

Is there a way of dating by the frame number?

Would love to see pics.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't know about frame numbers RH100 but yours is 1988 or later.
Mine is '87 or '88 and they added the second bottle holder after mine. Also mine has the older style Reynolds 531 decals.

Top Bottom