Domain move: www.cyclechat.net

Davidc

Guru
Similar to MacB - I just changed the URL in the properties for the link. I went straight to the new site and was logged straight in.

I'd even gone to the trouble beforehand of looking up my password.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
summerdays said:
OK I think I may have worked something out from doing that... I get:

on both sites and don't think I get logged out. After deleting cookies should I be logged out of the system? Or am I meant to follow the log out bit too - I kind of follow instructions directly on things like forms etc and so you didn't say log out.

(Sorry for being so thick)

Hi,

You're not thick at all - these computer things never work how they're supposed to ... :biggrin:

The link should delete your cookie, and as a result, log you out automatically, but if that's not working we'll try a different approach - delete your cookie manually.

You can delete cookies via your browser, however this usually deletes ALL of your cookies and if you have a number of sites you visit regularly it will invalidate all your logins (meaning you'll have to log back in, and of course, remember the password for each one).

To find and delete just the cyclechat cookies, try this (assuming you're using a PC with Windows?):
  • Close all instances of your web browser
  • Click Start > My Computer > right-click Local Disk (C: ) and select Search ...
  • Type "cyclechat" (without the quotes) into the search box and press the Enter key
  • This will search your hard drive for anything with "cyclechat" in the file name and should display both the cookie files, and the cached cookie details in your temporary internet files
  • The cookies should be stored in the format computerusername@www.cyclechat[1] (or similar) in a folder with a name like to C:biggrin:ocuments and Settingscomputerusernamecookies
  • Select these files and delete them
  • Close the search results window
  • Close the My Computer window
  • Open your web browser and login to CycleChat
Any good?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think these little breaks are Admin's way of softening us up for another appeal for funds. 'See what life's like when we switch it off for an hour.....you wouldn't want to make it permanent, would you?'

Very clever, Mr. Shaun, very clever....
evil-doctor.jpg
/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Admin said:
To find and delete just the cyclechat cookies, try this (assuming you're using a PC with Windows?):
  • Close all instances of your web browser
  • Click Start > My Computer > right-click Local Disk (C: ) and select Search ...
  • Type "cyclechat" (without the quotes) into the search box and press the Enter key
  • This will search your hard drive for anything with "cyclechat" in the file name and should display both the cookie files, and the cached cookie details in your temporary internet files
  • The cookies should be stored in the format computerusername@www.cyclechat[1] (or similar) in a folder with a name like to C:biggrin:ocuments and Settingscomputerusernamecookies
  • Select these files and delete them
  • Close the search results window
  • Close the My Computer window
  • Open your web browser and login to CycleChat
Any good?

Cheers,
Shaun :becool:

Well its not on the C drive but found some likely looking candidates on E (did I say Mr Summerdays doesn't set up his computer in a standard fashion - is that why it didn't get rid of them properly too?).

So I have found the following files:

summerdays @ www.cyclechat.co[1] a text document in the folder Cookies date 17/12/2008
CycleChat Cafe - Cycle Chat = an internet Shortcut in Favourites
summerdays @ cyclechat.co[2] = a text document in the folder Cookies date 27/6/2008

(spaces either side of @ so it doesn't look like an email address).

Are you saying its those 2 with the @ in them that I have to delete? And do I right click on them to delete them. (I get nervous playing around in computer drives that I normally stay out of).

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
summerdays said:
summerdays @ www.cyclechat.co[1]
summerdays @ cyclechat.co[2]

Are you saying its those 2 with the @ in them that I have to delete?

Yes, they're the ones - just highlight them and press Delete. (It may ask if you're sure you want to delete them? Just click yes.)

Cheers,
Shaun :becool:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Err - do you want the bad news.....

Did as you said... and logged in - got the Thank you for logging in summerdays screen then this one AFTERWARDS

313rb85.jpg

Norm

Did you have a browser open at cyclechat (either .net or .co.uk) when you deleted the cookies? Delete the cookies, close your browser and open it all up again or bits and bytes brain-farts may occur.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm - there are now nothing that comes up when I search E other than that shortcut file. Perhaps I'm still not on the right drive... server ... network etc... whatever sort of thing. Perhaps that was an old version of a file... ?

Would cookies be on a computer or on a network?

Norm

Cookies are (IME) always on the computer itself. I don't know if that's because they can't be stored on a network drive, though, or because they default to a local drive and I've never changed the location.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The reason I ended up at cyclechat.net without the www was that I just typed cyclechat.net into google and that's where it took me ... I haven't yet updated my bookmark since moving to the net version.

So that has been my problem .... sorry:blush:. Think I have it sorted now.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Aha! That explains why my notification mails were suddenly getting buried. I guess they're coming from a new address. Phew! ;)

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
arallsopp said:
Aha! That explains why my notification mails were suddenly getting buried. I guess they're coming from a new address. Phew! :biggrin:

Oh yes, did I forget to mention that - sorry - CC system generated emails will now be coming from: webmaster@cyclechat.net - so update your spam filters where necessary!!

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

Top Bottom