Domane Vs Madone sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

I've currently got a 58cm Trek Madone 3.5 CH2 2013 bike. When I got it last year the steerer tube had been cut really short and it gave me back pain. Extending the steerer tube by 60mm and shortening the stem by 10mm and flipping it make a good difference and it felt fairly comfortable to ride.

I'm now looking to get a Domane SL5 and have seen a decent used one which is 56cm. I can't go and see it as it is too far. Looking at the trek website I "should" be 58cm but my past experience with the Madone 58cm wasn't an ideal fit. Obviously the bikes are a different type though.

I'm 6ft / 184cm with a leg length of 34"

Any advice on size difference between these two bikes or advice on what others with a similar height / LL as me have found fits them?

I have found this comparison website also although I'm no expert to compare the geometry. Many thanks again for any advice

Screenshot_20240213_204022_Chrome.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m the same height and leg as you, I had the 56cm Madone 3.5. When I got the Domane, SL5 it was recommended that I get the 58cm. I thought it was too big at the time, but it suits me well. Not sure if this helps, the Madone & Domane are really quite different bikes. Having typed all that I think overall I preferred the Madone, but that might be sentimentality.

si_c

Guru
I would say that the 58cm is probably in the ball park (I'm 6'5" and ride a 62cm Domane) - it's already 20mm higher front end than the Madone with similar reach - so given that you said that the steerer on the Madone had been cut down before you bought it it's probably similar.

I'd definitely suggest trying to get to a shop where you can try one though, there's no real substitute for that.

OP
OP
D

drkash

I would say that the 58cm is probably in the ball park (I'm 6'5" and ride a 62cm Domane) - it's already 20mm higher front end than the Madone with similar reach - so given that you said that the steerer on the Madone had been cut down before you bought it it's probably similar.

I'd definitely suggest trying to get to a shop where you can try one though, there's no real substitute for that.

Many thanks. Do you think the 56cm would have been too small then? Or could some simple modifications have helped make it fit? I'm asking as the 56cm Domane I've seen is nice and I'm hoping I can get it at a decent price.

si_c

Guru
Many thanks. Do you think the 56cm would have been too small then? Or could some simple modifications have helped make it fit? I'm asking as the 56cm Domane I've seen is nice and I'm hoping I can get it at a decent price.

I really don't know, it's difficult to tell, especially if you are on the borderline of two. Depending on the brand I ride 61cm, 62cm or 63cm frames, and all fit me equally well, although some adaptations to the stock fit required.

The only way you'll know is to try one out, if a local Trek dealer has one in stock then get down and try one out. You may find if it's a good fit then you'll leave with it anyway!

OP
OP
D

drkash

I’m the same height and leg as you, I had the 56cm Madone 3.5. When I got the Domane, SL5 it was recommended that I get the 58cm. I thought it was too big at the time, but it suits me well. Not sure if this helps, the Madone & Domane are really quite different bikes. Having typed all that I think overall I preferred the Madone, but that might be sentimentality.

My last post was actually meant to be a reply to yourself

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My last post was actually meant to be a reply to yourself

You really need to go and sit on one to see how it feels, the 58 felt too big at first, but I grew into it, we are all different, one size doesn’t fit all.

steverob

Guru
I am almost the same height as you (183cm) but with shorter legs / longer torso (31"). I was told when getting fitted for my Trek Domane that I fell right into the gap between a 56cm and a 58cm and that both would be fine, but the bike shop recommended I go with the 56 as it would be easier to adjust things "up" than to go for the 58 and try to "adjust down" (their words not mine). Regardless, the bike ended up being a great fit for me, especially compared to my previous one, so I think you would probably also be okay with a 56 with only minor adjustments.

Kbrook

Veteran
I’m 6’ 11/2 and I ride a 58Domane, if anything I sometimes feel it’s a little small for me. I would say at 6’ a 58 will be spot on a 56 will probably feel a little small.

Top Bottom