Domestic property CCTV set-up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
Of those with cameras in place, how many have the required signage in place?

Nope.
However it is all done with the enthusiastic blessing of my neighbours. The local police are well aware of my system, and have utilised them many times.

My system was originally installed (and much smaller) when my work followed me home and scared my neighbours who at the time were mostly retired. Over the years it has been upgraded, with the latest upgrade and expansion taking place after the house 2 doors down was robbed with the scumbags avoiding my cameras.

Slick

Guru
We have, it doesn't look pretty on both doors but Mrs Slick insisted on it. She has also blacked out a couple of small spots where we could see passed our boundary, she was insistent we shouldn't be able to see anything of the neighbouring properties.

So prevalent do these things seem i have sometimes wondered what the legal position is with regard to filming the street as opposed to just your own property and grounds, which seems fair enough. Seems dodgy to be filming passers by.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Leaving aside the data protection/GDPR side of the debate
Read the thread!
However it is all done with the enthusiastic blessing of my neighbours.
This^^^^

If I do install a system it will only be with the agreement of my neighbours, and they will be welcome to come and review footage and check camera angles to make sure they are happy with what is being recorded.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I’m running 2 of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-845804-uk-8-channel-1080p-cctv-dvr-kit-4-cameras/1394x with 2 extra cameras added on. I can check in/review anywhere where I have internet. I also receive emails if certain cameras are triggered (I leave them on motion sensors rather than waste hard drive space with continuously recording), and if the bike shed camera detects movement it sends a push notification straight to my phone. Over the internet it sends a lesser quality picture unless you alter it, attached is a screen grab I’ve just taken.
Great to hear from someone is using/happy with the Screwfix/Swann set-up. Apart from the obvious 8.Ch v 4.Ch difference, there doesn't seem to be a lot to distinguish between the Swann at £299 and the Aldi kit at £180? The Aldi kit also has a 3yr warranty compared to the 1yr for the Swann, and Aldi provide stickers...…

Has anyone got or tried the Aldi kit?

Slick

Guru
So prevalent do these things seem i have sometimes wondered what the legal position is with regard to filming the street as opposed to just your own property and grounds, which seems fair enough. Seems dodgy to be filming passers by.
CCTV on nearly every street now.

Top Bottom