Don’t know what bike to buy for my daughter’s 12th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Booboohoohoo

It would be nice to spend less than the absolute maximum. Thank you for suggesting this one.

OP
OP
B

Booboohoohoo

Have a look at www.islabikes.co.uk - great bikes for youngsters... although their website seems to be down and delivery times are likely to be longer than a few days... you may be able to find a decent one second hand locally though.
They look lovely but are more than I can afford sadly. This is my worry that on my budget I will just buy something that will not last long, wear quickly and break all over ☹️

OP
OP
B

Booboohoohoo

Thank you will check it out!
I really like it! Also. it only weighs 11kg😄. As daughter has hypermobility she struggles with lifting and carrying. She has been riding my Dawes Dutchess but has to be helped to lift it over any obstacles etc. Also as I am 165 she is unlikely to end up being very tall...

I really like it! Also. it only weighs 11kg😄. As daughter has hypermobility she struggles with lifting and carrying. She has been riding my Dawes Dutchess but has to be helped to lift it over any obstacles etc. Also as I am 165 she is unlikely to end up being very tall...

It looks like they've recently changed the Wiggins range, and the new Chartres 26 has a different spec to the one that I have (no disc brakes, only a single chainring up front), as well as a different paint job, although admittedly the RRP is cheaper than when they first came out four years ago.

May be worth looking in the classifieds for a used one perhaps?

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall is her father or previous generations?
My mother at her peak was 5’1.5
...I’m 5’9.5...
My father at his tallest was 6’4...which might explain things somewhat 😄

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All good suggestions so far but knowing children and especially girls the colour exceeds any technical aspects we are likely to discuss so I would just confer with her on this very important aspect of her new mount :becool:.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Depending on her size I'd recommend either a Carrera Saruna 24, or the Carrera Subway 26, my daughter has the smaller version of the Saruna and it's an awesome little hybrid. She tackles woodland and farm tracks on it no problem, they're currently 230 pounds at Halfords. The larger Subway is 320.
The Wiggins Chartres is good too, that would be another sound choice.

RobinS

Veteran
Re suggestions for practical hybrid. Remember she is 12 years old and wants a mountain bike. Adult logic says a hybrid is more suitable but she may not be happy with a sensible "granny choice"!
Example - when she was 14 my eldest granddaughter was given a 20 year old Univega mountain bike, in excellent condition. Initially she refused to ride it, not because it was 20 years old, not because it was a rigid, not because it was a hand me down from her granny, but because it was fitted with slicks. All her Army Cadet friends, and school friends had MTBs with knobbly tyres - 14 year old logic told her it was not a proper MTB with slicks, even though she only ever rode on tarmac - once it was fitted with knobblies she loved it!

Top Bottom