Don Farrell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Montsegur Horsefly

IMG_0404.JPG

Latest purchase, a rather attractive 531 frame from Don Farrell of Edgware (although frame build was likely outsourced I do believe). Some lovely detailing and will hopefully scrub up nicely. Will replace bar tape and levers for something more fitting, possibly some GB Coureur 66 to match the centre-pulls, although these don't come cheap. The bike was last used as a single speed and tempted to go down this route.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 127

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That is very nice. I remember Don's shop in Edgware very well, used to go there sometimes but my local was Alan Shorter in North Finchley.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I was the only bidder, but didn't hit the reserve. Emailed him and did a deal without the Giant wheels which I didn't really want.

Fair enough

wonderdog

Is it too late to suggest that you send it to Australia as ship hold ballast? We have quite a lot of cast-iron lace on our verandahs that came over that way from Old Blighty. Lovely looking machine but perhaps deserving of period correct skewers - what are the hubs?

OP
OP
Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly

Is it too late to suggest that you send it to Australia as ship hold ballast? We have quite a lot of cast-iron lace on our verandahs that came over that way from Old Blighty. Lovely looking machine but perhaps deserving of period correct skewers - what are the hubs?

Yes, the wheels and hubs are modern alloys. I've used the company before and I wanted quick and reliable replacements to get the bike up and running. I waved it off yesterday to a very happy buyer. I almost changed my mind and ran down the street after the car, but clocked my wife looking at me with shame in her eyes...

FriendofBillW

For anyone still tuning in to this thread...

That looks beautiful. My old late Dad would have loved it. Right up his boulevard. Drilled out chainset... Stronglight?

Don Farrell also used to hand build wheels. My dad used to get the components mail order (Campag Record large flange hubs, alloy rims by Super Champion?) and DF would add the double butted spokes, with a few spares thrown in, and send them back - packed to survive a nuclear war - perfectly (and I mean perfectly) built, trued and the rear 'dished for a gear'. Quite an art as you'll know if you ever tried it yourself.

From memory he charged £30 the pair in the mid-'80s. 'Worth every tanner' as dad used to say.

Happy memories.

Top Bottom