Done my first club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think I've ever seen riders in continental races using hand signals.

....but that might be because there aren't any potholes on the continent. Villages that have paid enough to get the TDF through will also be made to patch up their roads before the race.

OP
OP
W
I'm getting into this group cycling now.

I'm a little worried that my co-cyclers on the Boxley to Camber via Headcorn and back to Boxley via Ashford ride may not have any cycling experience at all however and would like some ideas on suggesting how I can get these guys out cycling before we attempt this challenge.

From the sounds of it they are renting/borrowing bicycles and are reluctant to practice any of the route when I've asked because of this.... one has said he'll drive alongside me :rolleyes:.

monnet

Guru
I don't think I've ever seen riders in continental races using hand signals.

....but that might be because there aren't any potholes on the continent. Villages that have paid enough to get the TDF through will also be made to patch up their roads before the race.

They do. Particularly in the northern classics. Watch them when they approach road furniture (the sort that an Euskaltel normally goes flying into). If you watch at the side of the road you'll also hear them shouting out tight corners and hazards on the corners. Of course 'obstacle left' and 'car down' signals are somewhat less of a necessity on closed roads.

Hand signals are better from the rider at the front if the group going fairly fast - you just dont hear it otherwise with the windnoise (a shout from the rear can be heard better). It is quite easy to see the signals - and the signal also tells you where the hazard is because you wont always be wanting to move to the outside but go on the inside.
Yes i can see that where being heard is a problem then hand signals are the better alternative. Makes sense. Thanks.

Top Bottom