Done my first club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I completed my first club run on Saturday, we did a rather hilly route from Marden to Bewl Water in Kent about 30-33miles.

The route involved quite a few hills which brought the average speed down. I was quite pleased to be able to spin up some of the hills with a bit of pace on a 39/53 chain ring from a near stand still but I think this may have upset some of the other riders who were able to slog it out slowly on their triple chain rings.

I have discovered that if I fall to below 5mph on a hill and the cadence drops to near nothing, i.e the slower I go up a hill, the harder it is and the more strain I put on the bike and the more energy I use. Spinning up the hills is both quicker and less tiresome.

My GF insisted on coming too which which wasn't a brilliant move on our part, her bike is rubbish and she hasn't done any more than about 10 miles in one journey.

However I am very proud to say that we both completed the task, she has been recovering these past few days by getting me to massage her legs every hour, and I was tired but otherwise perfectly fine and able to continue cycling, which I did later that day and did a 14% hill in the area with relative ease.

I would really like to get her a decent road bike on the second hand market, she has finally seen the advantage of drops have over flats and is not just "OK" with getting a drop handled bike but now wants one.

Things I've realised I now definately need are:

Saddle bag for tools and stuff to keep my rear pockets clear for food and non pokey in the back things.
Extra bottle holder and bottle.
A book on riding etiquette.

Nice going Wankel :becool:

I don't know about a book on group riding etiquette you quickly pick it up and sometimes there's a slight variance between clubs anyway so a book might not be 100%

NotFabian

EACC
Well done, I went with the club yesterday for the first time in a while, although it was a bit of a shock to the system it was great to get back into it.
On the ettiquette subject, the other members will give u hints but can I suggest googling 'kings moss cycling club' they're not mine but a club close to me, they have an article on their site with diagrams on hand signals and other hints on group riding.
Might be worth a quick look.

OP
OP
W
They were shouting stuff like Single Up and Single Down, pointing at pot holes and indicating left and right amongst other things.

My version of "CAAAAAR!!!!!!, followed by "f*** you d***less" didn't go down to well

Well done Wankel.

Re that massaging (sounds cheeky to me) - hamstring and thigh stretching (30 seconds for each one) can make quite difference.

Re etiquette - Cycling Fitness magazine produced an article on such and group riding and I'll happily scan it in for you if you like. Though you're right - there is stuff worth knowing and it will help you to fit in with group / club rides, there's probably not enough of it to warrant buying a book - you'll pick stuff up in here / ask some questions and from group rides and let me know if you'd like that article. Happy you scan it for you.

TONY1974

Well done matey, cant wait to get my bike now and it would seem your local too, might have to cycle that route myself sometime in the near future
cool.gif
cool.gif

Attachments

• cool.gif
    cool.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 12

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Well done, I went with the club yesterday for the first time in a while, although it was a bit of a shock to the system it was great to get back into it.
On the ettiquette subject, the other members will give u hints but can I suggest googling 'kings moss cycling club' they're not mine but a club close to me, they have an article on their site with diagrams on hand signals and other hints on group riding.
Might be worth a quick look.

have you got a direct link? i can't seem to find it and i rather would like to get a handle on what the signals/sayings are myself.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Try googling 'club run etiquette'. Lots of information from various clubs. Also worth reading Cyclecraft by John Franklin.

thehairycycler

Well done mate, I've just started at my local club also, getting to grips with the hand signals, there are some experienced ridersv who will expect you to know everything and moan at you but don't let them put you off. most guys are pretty friendly and will let you know the best way to go about things! keep up the good work

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done mate, I've just started at my local club also, getting to grips with the hand signals, there are some experienced ridersv who will expect you to know everything and moan at you but don't let them put you off. most guys are pretty friendly and will let you know the best way to go about things! keep up the good work

Doesn't sound like a nice friendly club that I would want to ride with. If they know you are new then they should help you out not hinder by being rude.

OP
OP
W
I've got a saddle bag, I bought a large Specialized one. I've stuffed the following into it:
Spare inner tube
Dry lube
Tyre levers
Puncture patches
Multi tool

I may do away with the lube for journeys and put another inner tube in its place.

The bottle holders are in stock in the right colour over the next few days, waiting on the matt black rib cages.

The shop warned me against using retractable locks and saying they can be pulled apart and will damage the paintwork just from use.

Top Bottom