Electrifying my trusted Claude Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
I don’t think I told you but your smartphone will connect using Bluetooth to the battery brain and you can adjust the four different levels of assistance or change the brightness of the lights.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Umm, it’s made in Britain and the usb is supplied from the shop/factory in Winchester.
Doubt very much if it’s actually made in U.K. Despite being a U.K. company I’d still be wary, just seems a very odd choice. Maybe I’m over cautious. I also wouldn’t plug anything into a USB port that offers free charging.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
Doubt very much if it’s actually made in U.K. Despite being a U.K. company I’d still be wary, just seems a very odd choice. Maybe I’m over cautious. I also wouldn’t plug anything into a USB port that offers free charging.

I understand your worries but this isn’t a Chinese product it’s UK made and exported to the USA where it’s popular but they get a 20 mph version as their laws are different to hear.

gom

Über Member
I know a number of people who have fitted a Cytronex in the last year or two, including someone close to me, and all think it a great piece of kit. We had ours fitted at the very helpful shop in Winchester.

In case anyone doesn’t know this, the intelligence of the system is in the battery unit (bottle). When charging indoors, a long way from the bike, the app will tell you how charged it is.

We found that using the app to lower the first three assistance levels was a good idea as mostly level 1 was sufficient. The default level 2 was too much of a jump.

Long may they continue. As of yet I don’t need assistance myself, but wouldn’t hesitate to get a Cytronex if I did.

I understand your worries but this isn’t a Chinese product it’s UK made and exported to the USA where it’s popular but they get a 20 mph version as their laws are different to hear.

It's likely the hub motor, battery cells, and electronic components are all manufactured in Asia even if final manufacture and assembly is in the UK. Even Bosch, Brose and many other European ebike components are made in Asia even if final assembly is in Europe with some parts made in Europe like plastic cases etc. Asia pretty much dominates bicycle and ebike production in the world. Taiwan, mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Thailand, Indonesia and probably a few others make up the majority of bicycle production in the world. Even European assembly plants are basically just assembling Asian bicycles.

Fuji-ta at one point were making about 20 million bicycles a year, the largest Chinese bicycle manufacturer by Volume. They make bikes for most European and US brands and frames and forks for many assembly plants. That Claud Butler bike was probably made in Asia with at best assembly in the UK depending on the age of the model as later bikes are just fully imported from Asia.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
It's likely the hub motor, battery cells, and electronic components are all manufactured in Asia even if final manufacture and assembly is in the UK. Even Bosch, Brose and many other European ebike components are made in Asia even if final assembly is in Europe with some parts made in Europe like plastic cases etc. Asia pretty much dominates bicycle and ebike production in the world. Taiwan, mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Thailand, Indonesia and probably a few others make up the majority of bicycle production in the world. Even European assembly plants are basically just assembling Asian bicycles.

Fuji-ta at one point were making about 20 million bicycles a year, the largest Chinese bicycle manufacturer by Volume. They make bikes for most European and US brands and frames and forks for many assembly plants. That Claud Butler bike was probably made in Asia with at best assembly in the UK depending on the age of the model as later bikes are just fully imported from Asia.

I was replying to Mr Cyclops worry about the assembly instructions coming on a USB stick. There must be tens of thousands of Chinese USB sticks sold every day and people plug them into their computers etc.
I would expect that all the E bike components are made in Asia this country doesn’t seem to make anything much anymore.

Top Bottom