Electrifying my trusted Claude Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
I’m seventy-seven this year and push biking uphill is getting to be a bit of a pain.
I have invested in a Cytronex C1 kit comprising a 250w front wheel motor, 180w bottle mounted battery plus all the cables and a nice slow charger. Has anybody fitted one of these kits? Would you be interested in a step by step photo installation when I get to fit the kit? Here’s my bike before installation.

Attachments

• 422B2514-9EF0-4723-B85B-5954166763A6.jpeg
    422B2514-9EF0-4723-B85B-5954166763A6.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 13

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Would be interesting to see your progress.
There are plenty of videos in YouTube if need a bit of help but I presume instructions are provided.

OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru
Would be interesting to see your progress.
There are plenty of videos in YouTube if need a bit of help but I presume instructions are provided.

Not a problem, instructions provided with the kit. However if you want to download the instructions in pdf form you have to pay which I think is a bit off.

richardfm

Veteran
OP
OP
dicko

dicko

Guru

CXRAndy

Guru
Can you upgrade the battery to a larger capacity 180Whr is rather pathetic. 500-800W is the norm these days

simongt

Guru
I’m seventy-seven this year and push biking uphill is getting to be a bit of a pain.
I'm a mere seventy this May and find more recently that I'm using the lower gears for similar routes more than I did in the past, so much the same situation to yourself.
However as with you, I'll consider going electric when my knees say so which hopefully won't be for a while yet - ! ^_^

Dadam

I'm a mere seventy this May and find more recently that I'm using the lower gears for similar routes more than I did in the past, so much the same situation to yourself.
However as with you, I'll consider going electric when my knees say so which hopefully won't be for a while yet - ! ^_^

Only you know you, but there is an argument that going electric earlier will help your knees keep going for longer due to less impact. I'm only 53 but I've been finding the knees give the odd twinge now and I'm very conscious of not damaging them or subjecting them to too much wear. I'm 6'3 and leg length means that by sheer leverage they are under more stress.

silva

Über Member
At age 52 my experience so far with knees is that temperature shocks are bad. I had a few occasions where after a couple km after leaving home a knee like suddenly failed to put power, since I wear pants that go just below knees and didn't have that anymore (spanning 10 years here). I hampstered some secondhand knee dedicated clothes, for the future since things tend to go worser with older. Never wore a helmet, but also hampstered some.
Warming up may have made that difference too, but in the morning before work, that's theory.
I don't see going electric as a solution, your legs and knees just become weaker that's all - it shifts the pain to a lower force.
An example case is my current (6 years) versus my previous bike (8 years)
When something is broken that I can't fix, I bring it to dealer and use the previous bike till it's repaired.
The current bike has gear 47/16, the previous/now spare bike 52/16.
The first days the spare rides like something is pulling it back.
But after a couple weeks, it feels as easy riding as the current bike.
And when I get the current bike repaired back, and restart riding with it, oh, it spins so easy.
But after a couple weels, it feels as hard as it previously was.
I guess legs/muscles adapt, and knees probably too.

Top Bottom