First cycle club ride tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I contacted my local cycle club during the week about joining. I sent some information about my cycling and a link to my strava. They suggested I joined the bottom group for a couple rides and see how I get on.

They have 4 groups and tomorrow I will join the beginners group, their average speed is 12-13mph, I’m averaging 15-17mph depending on elevation, however the average distance for me is lower than the distances they are averaging.

I’m looking forward to it however I’ve never ridden on the road in a bigger group before,just usually myself and sometimes with a friend.

I’m hoping I can get some bigger distances in with them,as I know its something I need to work on,along with hill climbing.

13 rider

Guru
The draft effect of a group makes a big difference . If they are riding slower than your normal pace but doing longer distances you should be fine . A decent club will look after the newbies . Just follow any instructions and don't do anything suddenly in the group . And have fun

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You will probably really enjoy it. The slower paced group they have suggested it general good practice, particularly if you have no group riding experience. Don’t try too hard or see it as competitive, this will lead to issues. Safety is priority. Expect the unexpected. Remember to call the holes and then remember-to-call-the-holes! Don‘t surge. Don’t half wheel. Don’t attack at the distant whiff of the cafe stop approaching. Choose hand signals, choose the slow group, choose a white Americano and bacon roll, choose to take two tubes, choose to sit in, choose club rides!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds to me like you might find it a bit slow/easy. The way it tends to work is that you find you go further and faster when riding in a group due to the atmosphere, camaraderie and by being distracted from the effort you are making.

On the other hand, there's no point jumping in out of your depth so even if it is a bit slow it's a good opportunity to get to know folk, enjoy yourself and get used to cycling with other people without struggling to keep up.
You/they will soon work out what your ability level is and you can move to a suitable group for future rides

Enjoy.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

You will probably really enjoy it. The slower paced group they have suggested it general good practice, particularly if you have no group riding experience. Don’t try too hard or see it as competitive, this will lead to issues. Safety is priority. Expect the unexpected. Remember to call the holes and then remember-to-call-the-holes! Don‘t surge. Don’t half wheel. Don’t attack at the distant whiff of the cafe stop approaching. Choose hand signals, choose the slow group, choose a white Americano and bacon roll, choose to take two tubes, choose to sit in, choose club rides!
This genuinely made me laugh.

Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Enjoy - most clubs advise the slow group so they can assess your riding. Group rides are a learning experience; they suit some and not others. If the ride leader feels you're OK at group riding they should advise which group you fit into.

As above turn up on time, introduce yourself, watch/learn/use hand signals and calls which differ between clubs, but most of all enjoy yourself.

GM

Legendary Member
Bring a bag of 639072 to share, and enjoy the ride!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
You have to treat all your new club mates to coffee and cake at the first 11’s .

Yea no one believes me when I try that on our new members :laugh:.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

How did it go?

Need to change the title of the thread to

First cycle club ride today!​

Just back.
It went well, the pace was definitely a bit slow for me, but a lovely bunch of people, so welcoming and great chat.
We did 36miles which took approx 3 hours, my longest distance and time in saddle to date.
One thing I’m suffering from is very cold feet since purchasing Spd-sl shoes and pedals.
My overshoes arrived whilst I was away so I’m hoping that makes a difference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just back.
It went well, the pace was definitely a bit slow for me, but a lovely bunch of people, so welcoming and great chat.
We did 36miles which took approx 3 hours, my longest distance and time in saddle to date.
One thing I’m suffering from is very cold feet since purchasing Spd-sl shoes and pedals.
My overshoes arrived whilst I was away so I’m hoping that makes a difference.
Result :okay:

Just like I said then?

Top Bottom