My new old Carerra Subway.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sydney

I recently asked for advice on which bike to buy in this post: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/help-me-choose-a-bike.290407/

My office is being closed and I've been moved to a city centre office which is only 3 miles from home, the advice given was to buy an inexpensive used bike. Great advice and I pushed it to the limit by buying the cheapest Carrera Subway on Facebook marketplace!

This was all at the back end of February and the office move has taken longer than expected. I only rode to my old office a few times after buying the Subway as I also had to work from home so ended up needing to carry more equipment than I was happy with on the bike. Two rides were in sub-zero temperatures and one after a wet weekend. The sub-zero rides left my jaw feeling frozen and almost unable to speak for five minutes and the wet ride left me and the bike completely covered in mud. It did however show I'm quite happy riding in less than perfect weather.
I finally moved to the new office last week and it turns out there is limited car parking in a secure underground car park which I'll never be allowed to park my car in! The car park has 10 cycle parking spaces which I do have access to so storing the bike at work is great.
Last week I bussed in on Tuesday, and cycled Wednesday and Thursday. This week I cycled every day from Tuesday to Saturday. 30 miles for the week and I'm feeling pretty good! The traffic has been great since it's the school holidays but that will be different next week. The ride in is a breeze, slightly uphill for maybe half a mile then flat or downhill the rest of the way. Coming home I'm finding it harder as the first mile is pretty much all uphill, I'm out of breath and my heart is pumping by the time I reach the top. My thighs are a little stiff tonight and I've decided to cancel a 15 mile ride I had planned for tomorrow to make sure my commuting isn't affected but I'll definitely be heading out next weekend.

I just wanted to say thanks again for the great advice and post an update on how things had progressed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep at it. You'll eventually get clothing right to ride in all weathers. Nothing wrong with used bikes, just give them a good service (having just spent the whole day pulling a perfectly good used bike I just bought to bits and sorting everything and building it back.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Well done on getting out there. Cycle commuting is the highlight of my working day. I love it. Though not so much in the crappy weather.
For the cold face, get a Buff. You wear it round your neck and in the cold weather can pull up over your chin and nose. Will keep you toasty warm.

I was going to advise exactly the same. A buff over the chin and nose works very well to keep out the cold.

Tom B

Guru
When I started commuting I started doing Tues & Thursday, then Monday Wednesday Friday, then Tuesday Wednesday Thursday then added in the missing days.

As your fitness and knowledge of the route increases the hills that you find hard will get easier as you learn how to approach them, the best pace and your fitness improves.

Your appreciation of clothing will change and you find what works for you, I'd recommend a good pair of cycle cut waterproof pants and jacket. My current trousers and jacket are made by, well branded by HUMP.

I then layer up underneath with a good (not expensive) decathlon baselayer thermal, tee shirt, thermal jacket and waterproof (waterproof also stops the chill wind blowing through)

In winter warm gloves are essential. I've got some nobranders from the local bike shops. I e tried seal skins and I dont get on with them and think theyre massively over priced.

My top tip, find a few different routes to/from work to ride it'll stop you getting bored. I periodically try and ride a different route each day.

OP
OP
S

sydney

Thanks for the tips.
I've got a decent pair of gloves that keep my hands toasty warm and I'll definitely look into getting a buff before the colder weather returns.

I went for a short ride with my 16 year old daughter during the week and she asked if she could try my bike. She loved it in comparison to hers - a hand me down from an aunt - and asked if she could have it! Long story short I'm now the proud owner of 2 old Carrera Subways!

Yesterday I went for what is probably my longest bike ride since I was 16 years old (30 years!). I drove to a friends house and we rode 16.5 miles in just under 2 hours and I loved every minute of it. Great weather, amazing views and lungfuls of fresh sea air.

Screenshot_2023-04-24-07-09-05-394_com.strava.jpg

Tom B

Guru
Good work.

Tight toms top tip....

Set a reminder on your phone, or write on the calender to have a look for winter clothing in June.

You can usually find it on final reductions!

*I'm not a buff fan. I feel like I'm being strangled. I have however got a couple of thin beanie thinsulate caps that go under my skidlid and a couple of helmet covers that look awful but are handy for the worst weather

An alternative to the buff is the army style fleece headover from any army surplus type shop
Have you fitted mudguards?

Top Bottom