Help me choose a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sydney

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice buying a bike. If this post looks too long to read jump to the last line.
The office I'm working in is closing and the office I'm being relocated to is in the city centre so driving is out of the question as parking costs are too high. Buses are cheap and regular enough but I'd rather use this as an opportunity to lose some more weight and get a bit fitter. I'm currently 16 and a half stone having lost 3 stone since the pandemic with a combination of better diet, walking and even some cycling.
It's only around 3.5 miles to my current office and I can walk it in under an hour, cycling takes 15 to 20 minutes going in and, since half of it is uphill, around 45 minutes going home. The new office is around the same distance but hopefully not quite as steep a slope since it's pretty much uphill all the way home but less height difference.
I bought my current bike for £25 on Facebook marketplace just before the pandemic. It's an old heavy Apollo XC26, XL frame. It's terrible. It's also far too big for me as I'm 5' 10" (on a good day!) with short 29" legs. It was killing my back riding it home from work up the hill so I stopped riding it altogether.
Budget: As low as possible!
I've been looking at a Triban RC100 at Decthlon which is currently around £250. I could possibly stretch to a maximum of £350 but don't want to, but that would bring the Triban RC120 in as a possibility. I'm not opposed to buying something second hand and I'm currently watching an older Btwin Triban 500 on Ebay. If I go second hand I'd want to take it for a service etc so would want to spend a bit less on the bike.
I've mentioned Triban a lot but don't take that to mean i know much about them other than from what I've seen and read they seem to be good value.
Any advice or recommendations? From what I've read of this forum so far a used Carrera Subway could also be an option.
TLDR? Fat unfit bloke wants a cheap bike to get to work.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Sydney and :welcome: To the forum.

The RC 100 could work quite well for you but going secondhand would give you most bangs per buck, especially asthere is an economy squeeze on and you can pick up a bargain, it’s a buyers market. Have a look on zGumtree and Facebook market place. Try to get something little used if you can. Any of the big names are good, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek etc are pretty solid. Don’t discount older steel frame bikes going back to 1980, they last well if maintained. Raleigh of course plus many others. Spares are still available.
if you find a bike put it on here for us to give an appraisal.

I gotta say you won’t loose weight unless you combine with a controlled diet.

Good luck.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What storage have you for the bike at work ? a folder might be an option if you have no secure storage and can bring it into the office
The entry level triban has the gear shifters that are in the middle bars so you have to move your hands to change gears away from the brakes to change gear so i would avoid if you can .

Last edited:
It's only around 3.5 miles to my current office and I can walk it in under an hour, cycling takes 15 to 20 minutes going in and, since half of it is uphill, around 45 minutes going home. The new office is around the same distance but hopefully not quite as steep a slope since it's pretty much uphill all the way home but less height difference.
I bought my current bike for £25 on Facebook marketplace just before the pandemic. It's an old heavy Apollo XC26, XL frame. It's terrible. It's also far too big for me as I'm 5' 10" (on a good day!) with short 29" legs. It was killing my back riding it home from work up the hill so I stopped riding it altogether.
From what I've read of this forum so far a used Carrera Subway could also be an option.
TLDR? Fat unfit bloke wants a cheap bike to get to work.

Your situation is pretty much what mine was when I started and I say you have the right idea. I started on a horrible cheap MTB then upgraded to a Subway. After a couple of years on that I had a good idea of what I wanted next.

Also good tips here about locks, I bought a Kriptonite Longshackle as it gave good flexibility as it was long. The weight of it didn't matter as I'd leave it at work. Oh a tyre cable as well👍

Krptonite LS Lock https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/002147.html?type=bicycle
Tyre Cable https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/210818.html?type=bicycle
Carrera Parva Bike (new) https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...l-frames-346142.html?stockInventory=undefined

That bike is closer to the original specd Subway I had, don't let rim brakes put you off. For a short casual commute they are fine.

The last thing I'd say I many older mountain bikes, without suspension, could be considered as well.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@sydney i applaud you for sticking with your Apollo before parting with hard earnt cash
I would have a think before jumping on a road bike if you haven't ridden one for a while , why not try and find an early 90's steel mtb without suspension ie Marin Bear Valley or as others have suggested a Subway loads about.
Where are you based ?

OP
OP
S

sydney

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'll try to answer all your questions.

Cycleops:
I'll have a good look on all the usual sites for a used bike. Knowing what to look for helps so thanks for some clues. My diet had improved significantly but I let myself go a bit over Christmas so this is a good opportunity to reset everything.

DCLane:
I don’t really know what I want. I’ve never used a road bike, only mountain bikes. I’m only going to be using it for work – 3.5 miles each way - and maybe a few miles on the weekend. The longest ride I managed on my Apollo was 25 miles.

vickster:
Parking is actually pretty good as I can leave it inside the building at the staff entry point which is manned by a security guard and isn’t open to the general public. I’ll still be locking it up though!

Cyberknight:
I’d read about the dodgy placement of the gear shifter and that’s why I was begrudgingly prepared to up the budget for the next model up.

wiggydiggy:
Thanks for the links. That Carrera fits nicely in my budget and I’m definitely going to look at something used too.

biggs682:
I was determined to not let the bike beat me! I think it was the fact it was too big for me more than anything. What was good was seeing my gradual improvement, day by day week by week I got further up the hill before I had to stop for a rest. I did eventually make it all the way home without stopping. I’m in Newcastle upon Tyne and live at the top of what used to be the highest hill in the city. The city expanded to include a bigger hill, the hill didn’t become smaller!

Lots to think about and look out for thanks again and feel free to add more.

Jameshow

Veteran
I would try before you buy. Evans or Halfords will allow you to try a few types to understand what you like.
Also bike library type charities are good for secondhand bikes as are forum sales.

D_97_goodtimes

Hello and welcome.

Goals - To get fit. To lose some weight. To commute to work.
Objectives - Buy a bike. Ride to work. Ride home.

Planning to fail….

The bike - Steel frame on the small side although presently fixated on a Triban (Bikeradar for a review perhaps).

Why steel? At sixteen stone you need something sturdy. Frames made of Reynolds 501 or 531 may suit you and are available within your budget. YouTube for riding classic 10 speed bikes are entertaing and occasionally informative.

The ride - All weathers, Every day? In your suit? How about lights and your lunch? Not suggesting you spend a small fortune on cycling kit but a little forethought now may save you and your life in the long run.

Not sexy but a simple search in eBay for Reynolds 531 or Flat bar road bike will at least give you food for thought. Also look for cheaper brands of clothing, gloves, shoes lights, helmet, sunglasses etc…

If you have a local bike shop it may well be worth having a chat with a professional who can advise you.

Riding my bike always makes me smile.

Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sydney

Jameshow:
Thanks. Pretty much every reply has mentioned used bikes so I'm feeling more inclined to go that way in which case I'll definitely be trying the bikes out before parting with my cash.

D_97_goodtimes:
"Planning to fail…." , I prefer to think that even the longest journey starts with a single step.
I think the Triban fixations come from too many youtube videos after googling for a cheap aluminium bike due to the weight of my old Apollo. I'll certainly include steel frames in my searching now and research Reynolds 501/531. I'm a bit of a YouTube fanatic and watch anything and everything on there so I'll be spending even more time on it than usual.
I don't mind a bit of bad weather so as long as I feel safe I'll be giving it a try. Heavy rain, snow and strong winds will certainly mean I'll be on the bus but other than that I'm hoping to ride to work. Luckily I don't wear a suit and my work clothes and lunch fit in the bag I was previously using to ride to work. I have front and rear lights, a bottle cage and bottle, gloves, sunglasses, a helmet and a small collection of tools for doing roadside repairs like changing an inner tube.
I found even riding that godawful Apollo always made me smile too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hard to say without seeing the bikes in person, i personally wouldn't part with that sort of cash without checking them over checking for size and condition . Remember atm its a buyers market
not sure of your local , how about this ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125770945562?hash=item1d4888541a:g:OXEAAOSwuQ5jjxUu&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAkLuAPXAyEd7PHZg5+8tBhPS+xp9kVuPw0QyBIenWk6DpIQL6e2bKiFqij5hQdybcf6YuLTK0SsDwf5WxASIMsrLWRMi4JVvxrYAAWUUgvOk1UUz9etIO4X5688Bv59s+yCSswVXBeRsMZr8Vh5HDfjwsm/qItiAk40p8wJd1Ympn2vJDSOcNpQNbmkExwj1xZw==|tkp:Bk9SR-aL24HMYQ

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sydney

Hard to say without seeing the bikes in person, i persoanlly wouldnt part with that sort of cash without checking them over checkign for size and condition . Remember atm its a buyers market
not sure of your local , how about this ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125770945562?hash=item1d4888541a:g:OXEAAOSwuQ5jjxUu&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAkLuAPXAyEd7PHZg5+8tBhPS+xp9kVuPw0QyBIenWk6DpIQL6e2bKiFqij5hQdybcf6YuLTK0SsDwf5WxASIMsrLWRMi4JVvxrYAAWUUgvOk1UUz9etIO4X5688Bv59s+yCSswVXBeRsMZr8Vh5HDfjwsm/qItiAk40p8wJd1Ympn2vJDSOcNpQNbmkExwj1xZw==|tkp:Bk9SR-aL24HMYQ

It's in my postcode!
I fear the frame may be too big for my little legs but may drop them a message asking if I can take a look.

Top Bottom