Donnie Darko

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The way I understood it, the jet engine was a time machine. When it fell through Donnie Darko's bedroom, it created a bubble in the space-time continuum, a short-lived parallel universe. Donnie died in the original universe, but lived for several weeks more in the new one. The prediction of the world coming to an end could be interpreted either as the termination of that bubble, or as his world coming to an end through the death of his girlfriend. The director's cut has a bit more about time-machines, I think. At the end, it was as if Donnie was willing the jet engine to fall through his bedroom, close the space-time bubble, kill him; thus saving his girlfriend before he ever met her.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yellow Fang said:
The way I understood it, the jet engine was a time machine. When it fell through Donnie Darko's bedroom, it created a bubble in the space-time continuum, a short-lived parallel universe. Donnie died in the original universe, but lived for several weeks more in the new one. The prediction of the world coming to an end could be interpreted either as the termination of that bubble, or as his world coming to an end through the death of his girlfriend. The director's cut has a bit more about time-machines, I think. At the end, it was as if Donnie was willing the jet engine to fall through his bedroom, close the space-time bubble, kill him; thus saving his girlfriend before he ever met her.

My assesment holds then.

Abitrary

buggi said:
you know how they say it's all about chemistry. well that's crap. it's all about physics. in physics for every positive force there is an equal negative force yea?... well with bonj, my wanting is directly relative to how much i can't have him.

That's all OK but have you actually told him how you feel?

He gets a lot of attention and because of that he can be a bit bluff, but there's a light in his eyes tells me somebody's in and he won't come the cowboy with *you*.

Ask him out in a new thread or PM him. Feeble minds don't win fair bonjys.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Abitrary said:
That's all OK but have you actually told him how you feel?

He gets a lot of attention and because of that he can be a bit bluff, but there's a light in his eyes tells me somebody's in and he won't come the cowboy with *you*.

Ask him out in a new thread or PM him. Feeble minds don't win fair bonjys.

but if i ask him out and he says "yea baby" then won't the physics reverse? if the more i want him is directly relative to how much i can't have him, if he says yes then maybe i won't want him anymore???? :blush:

ps.. still think time machines is part of donnie's schizophrenia.

Abitrary

buggi said:
but if i ask him out and he says "yea baby" then won't the physics reverse? if the more i want him is directly relative to how much i can't have him, if he says yes then maybe i won't want him anymore???? :blush:

You're thinking too much - physics isn't his strong point anyhow.

Ok, I see where this is going. I'll put a word in for you next time our paths cross in p & l.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Abitrary said:
You're thinking too much - physics isn't his strong point anyhow.

Ok, I see where this is going. I'll put a word in for you next time our paths cross in p & l.

ok, because i don't venture in there very often.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Yellow Fang said:
As an explanation that's fine as far as it goes, but it still doesn't explain the rabbit.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Danny said:
As an explanation that's fine as far as it goes, but it still doesn't explain the rabbit.

The rabbit is Frank, the guy who runs over Gretchen accidentally, and who Donnie shoots through the eye. He was wearing a rabbit suit at the time because he'd been at the party. Frank was bit of an artist, which is why the rabbit mask was so scary.

got-to-get-fit

you need to watch it at least 3 times. By then you will realise that you have just wasted 6 hrs trying to figure out what its about and be none the wiser.

Tis a good film though .....i think

Kovu

Über Member
Was an excellant film. Dodgy in places and difficult to understand, but an excellant film!!!

Top Bottom