Don't know if I've made the right decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
About November I got my C2W scheme certificate and handed it into the shop for a Cube GTC Pro at £1260. I wanted disc brakes and 105, which this has.

I gave them the £1000 certificate and still owe them £360. I was planning to pay it at the end of this month.

I'm thinking now that as I don't cycle as much as I'd like to, shelling out £360 is a lot at this point. £1000 on a bike seems plenty!

I chose that shop because they have my fit details on record and will set the bike up according to this (saving me £100).

However, my last road bike, a Whyte Suffolk, could take big tyres and mudguards/pannier and generally be quite versatile. I'm worried now that this bike is a bit more 'road'.

So, currently driving myself mad over whether I should cancel the certificate and get it changed and take my £1000 online and get a more suitable bike. Or maybe the bike and fit are worth paying the extra £360.

Mmmmmmmm.

Slick

Guru
Tough. I have done the same with C2W, but tend just to make any decision I make work for me. Me personally, think 360 is well worth paying the extra for, but only you know your exact circumstances. I assume you are still keeping the old bike?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've not got that one anymore. But I do have a GT Traffic 1.0 hybrid. So I suppose best of both.

Those Cubes can be had for £999 online. But then no fit, no 6 week tune up, no LBS to sort out any issues.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I can just get the scheme to change the store. The shop have never 'cashed' it, it is still unspent so to speak.

I chose that shop because they have my fit details on record and will set the bike up according to this (saving me £100).
If the bike fit is that important to you could you not ask the bike shop for a copy of your "fit details" ? I have never felt the need for a bike fit so don't really know how it works but surely if it is on some file they could give you a copy and then you could transfer this information to whatever bike you choose?

Slick

Guru
If you do decide to hand it back you may have to rely on a bit of good will from the shop as it says on the voucher not to hand it over as deposit or any other reason until you have received the bike.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've always had disc brakes, and my last one had 105. Have this mental block against getting anything other than 105 or discs now.

The Cube Attain SL is £839 (or £939 to me) with 105, aluminium frame and normal brakes, or the Cube Attain GTC Pro is £1260 (or £1360 to me) with carbon frame, disc brakes and 105.

Let me check out the wheels ...

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Mavik Aksium Elite wheels on cheaper bike and Fulcrum Racing 77 on dearer bike.

I'd like to stick with the shop, I like them, just not sure about this extra £360.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
They'd definitely swap the model. That wouldn't be a problem.

I originally intended to get the Attain, but was seduced by carbon frame and disc brakes. I'm not very experienced though so need someone to tell me if the GTC Pro Disc is worth another £360 of my money.

Differences being disc brakes, carbon frame, different wheels. I'm not sure if these things justify the cost. Could someone with experience please advise.

The shop suggested the dearer one.

I'm not sure if these things justify the cost.
Sorry, no one can help you with that. They don't have a ROI (return on investment). You won't save £360 because of those features - unless the unlikely event of a collision that slightly better brakes may have prevented, of course. So you have to decide if those features are worth it to you. Will you get £360 worth of pleasure from them. It's not the way I would go, but I am not you.

2 things to think about.
  1. How long does it take you to earn the £360? Is that time worth it?
  2. What else might you spend it on? A weekend away, a small shed, a triban? Would they give you more pleasure than the bike you are looking at? Or would they make up for your disappointment at not getting the bicycle you have your heart set on.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
  1. How long does it take you to earn the £360? Is that time worth it?
  2. What else might you spend it on? A weekend away, a small shed, a triban? Would they give you more pleasure than the bike you are looking at? Or would they make up for your disappointment at not getting the bicycle you have your heart set on.

I like the economists' notion of 'alternative cost'.

Put simply, the cost of Mars bar is not 70p, its cost is what else you would have done with the 70p.

Leaving that aside for a moment, disc brakes are a worthwhile improvement over rim brakes in terms of maintenance - there is next to none with hydraulics.

Marginal gains in stopping power as @jefmcg says, although discs do perform noticeably better in the wet.

Also no more worries about brake rub, even if the wheel is knocked a bit out of true.

Top Bottom