Dont let abuse from motorists spoil your day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I find as many courteous drivers as the opposite, which works the same as in most other aspects of life. You can spend the whole rest of a ride fuming about an incident, or you can enjoy your ride. Your choice.

+1 definitely. The idiots are probably less than one in a thousand, the other 999 courteous drivers dont get remembered though.

On a ride with Angelfishsolo the other day it was really weird, all day people were courteous gave us plenty of room etc etc we both noticed it. Probably due to the ride being mostly in rural areas .

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I also liked you comment about nobody approaching you in the street and shouting abuse when in cycling gear even though you are clearly a cyclist :biggrin:
+1 definitely. The idiots are probably less than one in a thousand, the other 999 courteous drivers dont get remembered though.

On a ride with Angelfishsolo the other day it was really weird, all day people were courteous gave us plenty of room etc etc we both noticed it. Probably due to the ride being mostly in rural areas .

apollo179

I do think the power to annoy does lie with the cyclist and that power should be used responsibly. Cyclists riding 2 abreast is unnessecary and just serves to increase the overall level of hostility towards (all) cyclists.

Mad at urage

I do think the power to annoy does lie with the cyclist and that power should be used responsibly. Cyclists riding 2 abreast is unnessecary and just serves to increase the overall level of hostility towards (all) cyclists.
Riding two abreast is very necessary if you wish to speak to the other cyclist, or indeed to overtake another cyclist. Holding a conversation is also sometimes necessary (and occasionally can be enjoyable).

bigjim

Legendary Member
There are those motorists IMO, who for some reason think certain cyclists are soft and easy targets. I find if I am on a racing bike with helmet, cycle shorts and top I experience a certain amount of abuse now and then. If I am on my MTB in my scruffs I am given a wide berth and I have never experienced any abuse at all.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It doesnt happen often to me but when it does I used to try to analyse the situation to see if I was in anyway at fault then fret about it for a while generally losing enjoyment in the ride.

Then I had a thought. I often cycle into town and wander around in cycle gear with a helmet under my arm so very obviously a cyclist. Not once has anyone tried to barge me off the pavement noone has shouted at me or given me the finger.

What does this say about the type of person who will only abuse a cyclist when safely inside a steel box that can accellerate away?

Bearing that in m,ind makes it easier for me to ignore the Cowardly Twat$ and not give it a second thought.

Food for thought. I had my quick, pleasant lunchtime ride to the neighbouring village spoilt today by a fat arse in a Volvo giving me abuse for taking primary to prevent the cretin from overtaking me on a 90 degree bend. When I got off the bike and gesticulated towards the tw*t to stop and 'have a chat', he sped off like the useless sack of cowardly sh*te he and the rest of his fellow Volvo tosser chums are. After a while of blood boiling over, and quick, fruitless search of local streets to find the arse, I decided to let it go. -not easy though.

apollo179

Yeh cos its the cyclists on racing bikes with helmet and cycle shorts that drive motorists crazy by riding 2 abreast. Not saying you do this bigjim but some, as Mad@urage testifies to, do. Consideration works both ways.

Hip Priest

Veteran
In 12 years of driving I've only been annoyed by a cyclist once, and that's because he pulled a dangerous move on me which put himself at risk. I shouted 'Are you insane?' and he rode off. Nowt really.

I've never had a problem with cyclists 'holding me up' or riding two abreast, even before I became one myself. I just wait for an appropriate place and make a pass. The fact is, a lot of motorists don't seem to know how to deal with cyclists on the road, and if you can't deal with other road users, you shouldn't have a licence.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant didn't it?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If anyone is actually "driven crazy" by the sight of two parallel cyclists ahead of them, they really weren't sane enough to hold a driving licence in the first place.

I suspect hyperbole

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think you have said what needed to be said perfectly :smile:
In 12 years of driving I've only been annoyed by a cyclist once, and that's because he pulled a dangerous move on me which put himself at risk. I shouted 'Are you insane?' and he rode off. Nowt really.

I've never had a problem with cyclists 'holding me up' or riding two abreast, even before I became one myself. I just wait for an appropriate place and make a pass. The fact is, a lot of motorists don't seem to know how to deal with cyclists on the road, and if you can't deal with other road users, you shouldn't have a licence.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant didn't it?

Top Bottom