Don't like RLJ's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Davidc said:
Drivers can be picked off with cameras which helps keep the problem down, but bikes aren't easily identifiable so that couldn't work.

I wear a tabbard with a unique and memorable print partly because it means I can be identified if anyone wants to put the effort in. It keeps me honest. Everyone has times when their conscience needs a bit of supporting.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I stop at lights, always have, since cycling proficiency at school about 12-13 years ago, but there have been times I've effectivelly been bullied to run them by motorists one memorable time incudes having to cross a lane to be in correct lane to turn, slowly coming to a rolling stop on my fixed (the lights were red I could see it from a good distance away) and a car behind riding right on my wheel beeping (even though me going faster doesnt get him anywhere faster, the light is red, he has to stop) but effectivelly forcing me to speed up, which means I then cant stop the bike in time for the lights.

I take 50% of the blame, because I dont have a break to slow down faster atm (I need one fitting), but I also blame drivers to some extent who are in such a rush they wont give you space on the roads when you need it, yet its them that will moan if you do run a red. I dont see many cyclist running reds actually, which surprises me, being in a hugely student populated city (inc me)

summerdays said:
I almost RLJ'd yesterday ... I was turning right off the A4, at a junction I didn't know, and approached the traffic lights in my filter lane and saw the red light so slowed. I think I must have glanced down to see where the line was, looked up and saw a green light (A) and went... only to spot a red light (:laugh: on the other side of the junction luckily. So hoovered in front of the line until it was legal to go.

However my question is was it just me or do you think these lights are confusing?:

I can relate to the problem here...there were a set like this at Bethnal Green when they resignalled it and I nearly got caught...also I saw a few motons doing the same.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
HJ said:
If you don't like Red Light Jumpers, when you are not alone...

Presumably (given the references to "bikers" and "running" reds) this is in the States, isn't it, where cars have an even more dominant role and cyclists are even more marginalised than over here? I'm with MarinYork on this - if we have to wait until all cyclists are impeccably behaved (either in the eyes of motorists or other cyclists) before we recognise ourselves as a group with common interests and demand that motorists address their behaviour, then we might as well give up now...

PBancroft

hackbike 666 said:
Funny thing is recently I have found it more common motons doing it as well.One day I noticed 7 motons blatantly jumping red lights and I wasn't even trying.

+1

Just the other day I was about to cross the road at a Pelican crossing, and a driver went through the red on my side just as I was about to step out.

It's not unusual for cars to sit on crossings round here, forcing pedestrians to walk around them.

I struggle to think of times I've seen cyclists run red lights.

Top Bottom