Don't like RLJ's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'd say its higher than 3/4 of cyclists that get annoyed by it. Much higher.

downfader said:
I'd say its higher than 3/4 of cyclists that get annoyed by it. Much higher.

+1. It has to be the main thing that motorists use against us. I'd imagine anyone who doesn't RLJ (i.e. nearly every cyclist) is consequently annoyed by it. Plus, it essentially isn't fair!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
beanzontoast said:
+1. It has to be the main thing that motorists use against us. I'd imagine anyone who doesn't RLJ (i.e. nearly every cyclist) is consequently annoyed by it. Plus, it essentially isn't fair!

Plus there is also the odd psychology of how people in the bad areas for it assume its like that everywhere.

Funny thing is recently I have found it more common motons doing it as well.One day I noticed 7 motons blatantly jumping red lights and I wasn't even trying.

downfader said:
Plus there is also the odd psychology of how people in the bad areas for it assume its like that everywhere.

Unfortunately it is in London and I don't think it is going to go away.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think cyclists talking about RLJing doesn't really do us any favours.

If I had a rant to a motorist that I disliked RLJers they wouldn't suddenly view me as a brother in arms but it'd reinforce their view of me as scum. So I think it is better to really not comment and engage with their infantile out group thing as the results are awfully predictable.

marinyork said:
I think cyclists talking about RLJing doesn't really do us any favours.

If I had a rant to a motorist that I disliked RLJers they wouldn't suddenly view me as a brother in arms but it'd reinforce their view of me as scum ayway. So I think it is better to really not comment and engage with their infantile out group thing as the results are awfully predictable.

;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:

Yes, yes I know you Londoners have a whole way of life based on it but it's not the end of civilisation as we know it. If I thought it'd make any difference or was that big a deal I'd be out there barricading the traffic lights like everybody else.

marinyork said:
Yes, yes I know you Londoners have a whole way of life based on it but it's not the end of civilisation as we know it. If I thought it'd make any difference or was that big a deal I'd be out there barricading the traffic lights like everybody else.

No im not making a big deal out of it....I see bad stuff from every road user.

Reminds me of an RLJer I met last year, on the ToB route Between Durham and Gateshead.

The tour had passed my vantage point so off I headed to catch the finish in Gateshead.
A little way up the road as I approached a T junction there was a line of traffic waiting, so I start to filter up the outside. I notice a fellow roadie (actually there were quite a few but he stood out) on a lovely spesh tarmac pro trying to make progress up the inside. The ineveritable happens and down he goes while squeezing passed a car. I suspect he is feeling like a bit of a fool in front of all the other roadies. Anyway I ask if he and his bike are ok, and he seems grateful for my interest.
As we cycle along he tells me that he is heading to the finish too, so as he seems like an ok guy we decide to ride together. We make great progress zipping along at about 28 mph. Then we come to the first set of light, which are on RED. Road is clear and he goes straight through, I catch him up and pass general comment on RLJing (its his funeral). Next set of lights that are red exactly the same thing happens, this time a motorists who has stopped next to me at the line looks at me and shakes his head. I let the motorists know that he is not with me (if you know what i mean)
From here on in its pretty frosty between us, but I carry on riding and out of good manners I even wait for him on the climbs.
Then as we get to Gateshead Quayside some of the roads are closed for the tour finish and marshells are posted. This guy totally ignores them and rides down the route. I of course stop and follow the directions given, mean while he is verbally abusing the marshells. Unbelieveable! Of course they ask me for his name and again im forced to explain that hes not with me.
Anyway its a long winded way of saying that there are many out there who do our cause no good whatsoever and they are not all hoody wearing ninjas.

Top Bottom