Don't ride to get a tattoo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Ive fitted a computer, Ive been for a ride and after making a point of riding within my comfort zone I knocked out 21 miles in 1hr 11min, what does thay equate to, 18mph?
So thats my speed, I know 21 miles isnt a 'long ride' but its not a short one either so I'll up the mileage and see how long I can maintain it before my knees go bang.
I bought a really cheap computer that has no avg speed, not my best move.

Yesterday (9/7/10) was a scorcher in beautiful Essex as I believe it was for most of the country. I had a tattoo session booked (it was booked a long time ago) and as my wife and I now share a car I had decided to ride to the appointment but I was being picked up (sunshine and sweat are not good for a fresh bit of ink).
The time has come for me to leave, 12:25pm, that's right I'm a moron!
I made a mental note to go at a steady, comfortable pace and drink lots of water it's only 15 miles but lets face it yesterday was hot, very hot as I recall it was around 32•c. I set off, steady and comfortable I even had a short break about 10 miles in, when I arrived I had a quick look at the time on my phone 13:10!!
Now on one hand I'm very pleased that even in that heat and over a relatively short distance I could maintain a 20mph average speed but my God did I pay for it when I was under the needle, I don't like being tattooed at the best of times but yesterday was hell on earth, genuinely the worst pain I've had - ever.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can teach myself to ride a bit slower?
I seem to ride at the same pace irrespective of the distance being covered, I've tried maintaining cadance but in a lower gear but I end up changing gear because I'm going too slowly. I'm doing 20 miles regularly but unless I can pace myself better I think 25-30 is going to be my max.

Bicycle_Trailer3.jpg

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Well that would definitely help me ride slower but I'd have to take a break every 2 miles, less if there was a hill involved.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Does anyone have any tips on how I can teach myself to ride a bit slower?

I read somewhere (annoyingly I can't find the reference right now) about wearing a heart rate monitor that beeped when you hit a certain amount. When it beeps, you *must* change down a gear.

Hope that helps,

MG

Top Bottom