Don't understand training jargon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

50000tears

No just the loads. The ability to recover is proportionally constant.

This is simply not correct.

I used to do a lot of running and trained myself to a point whereby I could sometimes go out twice day. Doing so in the first few weeks of taking up running would have led very rapidly to overtraining. Are you trying to suggest the muscle ache in my legs over the weekend was imagined or that it should just be ignored?

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
@Stonechat
For what you are trying to achieve, you are going about 'training' in exactly the right way, increase your mileage, increase your efforts uphill.
If you don't know the route, the biggest hills are later in the day, so don't be tempted to 'blast' up any hills on the day; steady riding will see you get to the finish.

VamP

Banned
This is simply not correct.

I used to do a lot of running and trained myself to a point whereby I could sometimes go out twice day. Doing so in the first few weeks of taking up running would have led very rapidly to overtraining. Are you trying to suggest the muscle ache in my legs over the weekend was imagined or that it should just be ignored?

No. I'm suggestin that you are confusing yourself on volume, intensity and recovery rates.

50000tears

No. I'm suggestin that you are confusing yourself on volume, intensity and recovery rates.

I don't see how. You may just need to explain it better rather than just throwing random statements out there! :rolleyes:

If you are arguing that if the loads are proportionate then the recovery should be the same then you could have a valid point but does not recognise the way many train. It is easier for a newer rider to overload their training effort compared to a far fitter athlete so would need more time to recover for that reason. When I train, rightly or wrongly, I leave everything out there and am pretty wasted when I finish. It may be that less effort may allow me to train every day, but if I hold back then the need for my body to adapt would be far less so I would gain far less. I would rather push hard and force my body to adapt to what I expect of it. Then I can push even harder.

An interesting topic though and I wish that this forum had a lot more of this type of discussion and not certainly not less!

VamP

Banned
I don't see how. You may just need to explain it better rather than just throwing random statements out there! :rolleyes:

If you are arguing that if the loads are proportionate then the recovery should be the same then you could have a valid point but does not recognise the way many train. It is easier for a newer rider to overload their training effort compared to a far fitter athlete so would need more time to recover for that reason. When I train, rightly or wrongly, I leave everything out there and am pretty wasted when I finish. It may be that less effort may allow me to train every day, but if I hold back then the need for my body to adapt would be far less so I would gain far less. I would rather push hard and force my body to adapt to what I expect of it. Then I can push even harder.

An interesting topic though and I wish that this forum had a lot more of this type of discussion and not certainly not less!

I'm happy to explain more but not on an iPhone :smile:. Once I get to a proper keyboard I'll expand.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just want to
1 Improve my general endurance
2 Improve hill climbing

Both have been improving anyway under my regime of increasing length rides with hill content
Today (On the hybrid soon to be usurped by Felt Z95) I did 44 miles including about 1590 feet of climbs im 3 1/2 hours.
Pretty tired by the end though.
I find the most effective way to improve at hill climbing, is to do lots of hill climbing. Just do it often, and consistently.

Rupie

Über Member
Way too technical a discussion for the most of us here !!!!!!!.............as it always ends up.

VamP

Banned
I actually want you to be able to show me that I am wrong so that I can fit more gut wrenching sessions in! Sadly I don't think I am though.

You are wrong, but it won't necessarily give you anymore scope for self punishment. It'll have to wait till tomorrow as a crying baby takes priority...

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
There are training plans on British Cycling wesite but they assume you have a heart rate monitor
@Stonechat
For what you are trying to achieve, you are going about 'training' in exactly the right way, increase your mileage, increase your efforts uphill.
If you don't know the route, the biggest hills are later in the day, so don't be tempted to 'blast' up any hills on the day; steady riding will see you get to the finish.
Blasting up hills and me don't go together

ayceejay

Guru
Cyril: What's the weather like where you are John?
John: Well Cyril first you have to understand that Weather is the state of the atmosphere, to the degree that it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy.[1] Most weather phenomena occur in the troposphere,[2][3] just below the stratosphere. Weather generally refers to day-to-day temperature and precipitation activity, whereas climate is the term for the average atmospheric conditions over longer periods of time.[4] When used without qualification, "weather", is understood to mean the weather of Earth.

Weather is driven by air pressure (temperature and moisture) differences between one place and another. These pressure and temperature differences can occur due to the sun angle at any particular spot, which varies by latitude from the tropics. The strong temperature contrast between polar and tropical air gives rise to the jet stream. Weather systems in the mid-latitudes, such as extratropical cyclones, are caused by instabilities of the jet stream flow. Because the Earth's axis is tilted relative to its orbital plane, sunlight is incident at different angles at different times of the year. On Earth's surface, temperatures usually range ±40 °C (−40 °F to 100 °F) annually. Over thousands of years, changes in Earth's orbit affect the amount and distribution of solar energy received by the Earth and influence long-term climate and global climate change.
Cyril: Thanks John where are you exactly?
John: An interesting question Cyril but what you must understand is that
Geography (from Greek γεωγραφία, geographia, lit. "earth description"[1]) is the branch of knowledge that studies the lands, the features, the inhabitants, and the phenomena of the Earth.[2] A literal translation would be "to describe or write about the Earth". The first person to use the word "geography" was Eratosthenes (276–194 BC).[3] Four historical traditions in geographical research are spatial analysis of the natural and the human phenomena (geography as the study of distribution), area studies (places and regions), study of the man-land relationship, and research in the Earth sciences.[4] Nonetheless, modern geography is an all-encompassing discipline that foremost seeks to understand the Earth and all of its human and natural complexities - not merely where objects are, but how they have changed and come to be. Geography has been called "the world discipline" and "the bridge between the human and the physical science". Geography is divided into two main branches: human geography and physical geography/

Cyril: Whatever.

VamP

Banned
Whilst the OPs question was covered in the first few posts here, there are other aspects to this post - namely appropriate use of definitions and training vocabulary - that are of interest to some of us. Those that don't have an interest are free to go on and chat about winter tyres, puncture fairies, recovering from alcohol addiction and chain mickling somewhere else on the forum.

Top Bottom