Dont you just love some attitudes!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tetedelacourse said:
Sadly, people do listen to them though.

Over Christmas, I happened to be at the inlaws when some of their friends arrived for a coffee. Then more appeared. Eventually there was I, trapped with the kids and wife in a roomful of elderly folk who knew best about everything. A ringleader was outraged at the addition of speedbumps in the village where they all live, and how it was ridiculous that he, in his Merc, be expected to put up with these ludicrous "hazards" in the middle of his village. He'd started a campaign to abolish them and folk were swearing they'd get behind the movement.

Inconvenience to him = minimal. Effect in slowing traffic = high.

God. Given. Right. To. Do. What. He. Likes. On. The. Road. In. His. Car. And. To. Hang. With. Everyone. Else.

Had I known him better or met him in a different setting I'd have taken him to task. As it was, I rolled my eyes and got the troops together and left as soon as I could.

I helped implement a traffic calming scheme in a village in north Dublin. I can't remember the full history but there had been a child killed, I think another was seriously injured and the residents demanded it. Although they wanted car from outside the area to be slowed down, they didn't want to be inconvenienced themselves. One of the the complaints "the Traffic Islands, stop me overtaking", this was the same road that the kid got killed on :tongue:

Tetedelacourse

HLaB said:
I helped implement a traffic calming scheme in a village in north Dublin. I can't remember the full history but there had been a child killed, I think another was seriously injured and the residents demanded it. Although they wanted car from outside the area to be slowed down, they didn't want to be inconvenienced themselves. One of the the complaints "the Traffic Islands, stop me overtaking", this was the same road that the kid got killed on :biggrin:

That was this bloke's attitude in a nutshell. It wasn't so much that that annoyed me but that others were listening to it and nodding in agreement and pledging allegiance. Really I don't know what can be done to counter such blindness.

As Arch suggests, a cracking line to part the clouds of their mind and boom the truth at them would be great but I don't think such a line exists!

Top Bottom