Door mirrors??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Followed a car with folded mirrors on a minor road recently. Decided not to overtake as the person nominally in the drivers seat seemed a little unpredictable.....No point contacting local polis: only interested in rustling and diesel thefts around here.

Pete

Arch said:
People should be required to have a lesson or two in a van with no rear view mirror inside before they pass their test. Might teach them how to use wing mirrors.
Spot on. I've driven a white van long distances, across the Channel too. Indeed I was terrified that someone might smash my left-hand door mirror while in France - driving a RHD van. Would have left me paralyzed! Luckily the mirrors on vans are pretty solid affairs.

But - paradoxically - I learnt to drive - back in 1972 - in a car with no door or wing mirrors. They weren't obligatory in those days and some cars came without. I remember querying this with my instructor (a retired copper) and he declared that he 'had no time for such nonsense - when he were a lad drivers were taught to look around and not rely on them girly mirrors....' Well, I persevered, sans mirrors. I remember the car too: a Hillman Avenger. Drove like a cow, but it saw me through the Test, that was the main thing! :rolleyes:

Originally by HLab

Is it more Aerodynamic, to have folded mirrors?

I knew somebody, who had a Porsche 928 and was told that they could get to 165mph. After running it in he tried to get 165 but could only get an indicated 150ish mph, so took it back to Porsche and complained.

They told him that they could not condone speeding; but, to fold the wing mirrors back.

When he did this, he managed to achieve the 165mph (as indicated by the speedo) and was a happy little cager, for what that’s worth,

Top Bottom