Dopey beginner's mistake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK folks, I need some help ...

I've been out getting used to my new Ghost hybrid and eveything was fine until yesterday, when I went out on a towpath full of mucky puddles. My shiny new bike was soon covered in mud etc.

I got home and washed it down with warm water and a sponge, and dried it as best I could. Unfortunately today I got the bike out to go for a run and found that my brand new chain was covered in dust and what looks like rust. Aaaaaagh! I brushed it down as best I could and took it out for another run, and it doesn't seem to be as bad. However, I'm concerned that I've done lasting damage to the chain and I've hardly even started.

Can I fix this with some chain lube/oil or is there another solution? And should I avoid washing the chain with water in future?

Yours
Dopey!!!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No harm after just a day, I'd guess. Clean it up thoroughly and the sprockets using degreaser and then, if you're naturally attracted to riding though muddy puddles, get some wet lube on it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fear not, tis a bike and is meant to get wet and dirty, people follow all sorts of chain maintenance methods but I favour a slightly abbreviated 'Mickle Method' named after a poster on here:-

Run chain through old rag, preferably not too mucky, just hold rag around chain and turn cranks. You'll soon work out how to hold it to stop it keeping getting dragged into chainrings or cogs.

Repeat using baby wipe/s depending on how mucky it is...I buy the cheapo own brand fragrance free wipes as a three pack...very handy for all sorts of bike cleaning and maintenance.

Add some oil/lube....I just use cheapo basic cycle oil from LBS(local bike shop) all year round, about £2 for a bottle that looks like the old 3in1 cans.

Wipe off excessive oil/lube with another baby wipe and you're good to go.

All of the above should include some running through the gears to spread the cleanliness/oil around.

The full method would include riding for a bit then repeating whole process. But I don't use super expensive components and I find doing this once a week is about right, takes about 5 minutes.

Oh yes, I have heard that washing up liquid includes a salt component so should be avoided....I don't know if this is true but worth being aware as a possible.

Top Bottom