Dopey question# 672

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Evening all xx(

I took delivery of my shiny new Giant SCR3 yesterday. Anyway, included in the box are a sheet of clear stickers and an alchohol wipe branded Kendall curity.

The stickers are clear plastic and quite thin (about gaffa tape thickness I'd guess.)

There are 3 rectangular ones about 2" by 3/2", 4 oval ones a bit smaller and 8 small circular ones. What the hell are they? anyone know?

They almost look a bit like puncture repair patches but I can't imagine for a second that they'd hold a puncture.

mondobongo

Über Member
They are to prevent cable rub on your nice shiney new frame. Have a look at where the cables run and you will see some points where the cable will move against the frame. Use you alcohol wipe to clean any sections of the frame were you are applying the patches so they stick properly.

Two points that immediately spring to mind are the side of the head tube and where the front mech cable runs down the seattube.

Brock

They're re-usable nipple protectors, to stop chaffing from your jersey as you're hammering down the road overtaking everyone... Aren't they??

andrew_s

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
what are reusable nipples?
They are little cable clamp things that attach to plain cable in place of the barrel nipples moulded on the end of MTB brake cables.
Brock meant reusable "nipple protectors". For women, it generally means a bra, but some blokes can have problems with sore nipples caused by a flapping cycle shirt or bouncing man-boobs when jogging. Elastoplast is the normal solution, apparently.

Back on topic, the other bits of frame that may need protecting are the top of the seat stay from the rear brake cable, and the top of the chainstay from the chain (if there's a suitably shaped piece).

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thank you :biggrin:

I've protected the frame from any possible cable contact I can see.

Just wish they'd put a large enough sheet in to cover the whole bike with...................................

Arch

Married to Night Train
andrew_s said:
They are little cable clamp things that attach to plain cable in place of the barrel nipples moulded on the end of MTB brake cables.

No, they aren't called nipples. But for the life of me, I can't remember the proper name. It'll come to me later. Watch this space....

Ferrules! There, that didn't take as long as I thought it would...

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Ferrules (proud) ;)

Top Bottom