'Doping' in women's racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Tim Bennet. said:
I think we need to give credit where credit's due. If there is no drug problem in Women's sport, it's because that's how they want it to be. And good for them.

This notion that any form of cheating, including doping, is only as a response to money and prestige is totally wrong. Some people will cheat to gain advantage at any level. If you are involved with organising even low key sporting event, there will always be people who fragrantly breach the rules. Even on 'fun events'.

It always amazes me to watch runners take short cuts through 'out of bounds' areas on orienteering events, or split up at controls or dump kit on mountain marathons, or ride along footpaths on mountainbike Trailquest events and then . . . don't even get me started about the cheating in sailing; 'the most complex sport with the fewest judges' . Yeah, and boy, does it show!

The commonest response to all this is the very magnanimous 'well, ultimately they are only cheating themselves'. But there are often kids in these events who see what's going on. And when they grow up and it's no longer just themselves they are cheating, can we be surprised that they look so indignant when they are caught. It's been 'normal' to them all their lives.

I guess we'd smell a rat in this case.:thumbsup:

chris42

MsMalfoy said:
Women cyclists don't need pharmaceutical assistance to give a great performance, all they need to someone to wave a pair of Manolo Blahniks in front of them and they'll conjour an extra couple of mph in a sprint finish.

Manolo Blahniks are shoes if you other guys were wondering :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Blonde

Blonde

MsMalfoy said:
Women cyclists don't need pharmaceutical assistance to give a great performance, all they need to someone to wave a pair of Manolo Blahniks in front of them and they'll conjour an extra couple of mph in a sprint finish.

I just had to Google 'Manolo Blahniks' as I didn't know what they were. Odd you should say that though - 'tis my loved one (Male), that has a thing about shoes (men's, not women's, and Italian ones I think), and not me.

Monty Dog

There have been isolated cases - an American Tammy ?? something got a ban a couple of years ago. I think its more prevalent on the track as well. It's probably more to do with the prizes - there's no point in spending thousands on 'prepatore' if you're only going to win a few hundred in prize money. I also think women are generally more sensible when it comes to pumping hormones into their bodies, particularly if they ever have plans to have children.

Top Bottom