Double Chainring combos for touring an S6L in a hilly area ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I may have asked this before out of interest ... But now out of need!

I may need to take the Brompton on my Outer Hebrides cycle tour if I can't get the Rourke in a Citroen C1
It's a good excuse to get on with the mod anyhow.
I use the 44t chainring as std but if went double would not mind the 50t back on.
So, if I'm to buy a new chainset, what chainring combos do you recommend for lumpy 2 week tour?

Also, will I need to get a wider BB.
I may do a derailleur mod later ....

Cheers
FF

Last edited:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I may have asked this before out of interest ... But now out of need!

I may need to take the Brompton on my OH cycle tour if I can't get the Rourke on a Citroen C1
It's a good excuse to get on with the mod anyhow.
I use the 44t chainring as std but if went double would not mind the 50t back on.
So, if I'm to buy a new chainset, what chainring combos do you recommend for lumpy 2 week tour?

Also, will I need to get a wider BB.
I may do a derailleur mod later ....

Cheers
FF
I've done this on a few B's. A 50t has the holes in the right place to mount down to 28t and the tensioner can handle the delta. You'll only need to space the BB out by 3mm to mount inside the 50t and a Hope spacer does this nicely. Spa cycles has the rings and bolts.

Heel strike to drop and a stick to get back onto the big ring.

Arellcat

I have a FSA double chainset on my Brompton, with an Octalink v1 BB with a 2mm spacer behind the right-hand side cup. I have it set up with a 40t inner and 53t outer, but to be honest I hardly use the 53 because most of my riding is in hilly places, and for me the ratios from the 40t work nicely with the BWR hub, particularly in direct drive mode.

At the York Rally I saw @kimble 's Brompton with the Kinetics/Sturmey 8spd hub, plus a triple on the front, using the outer mount for a chainguard.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I was using a 54 and 38 combo for a while both with a single speed and with a regular SA 3 speed. I like having my 38 on the outside, because it made switching the chain easier. I could not find a chain ring smaller than 38 for a 130 BCD crank. Since you have a 2 cog rear wheel it would probably be best to go with the smaller chain ring on the inside. I found that if I left it on the 38 when I folded the bike the chain would come off but it isn't hard to just put it on the big chain ring. I did not need to change the 119 mm JIS BB is now use. i do not know what an OH tour is but for my riding when I have a lengthy climb it is no big thing to stop, move the chain and go on or vice versa. Using a wax or drilube type chain lube means your fingers stay a lot cleaner.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I have a FSA double chainset on my Brompton, with an Octalink v1 BB with a 2mm spacer behind the right-hand side cup. I have it set up with a 40t inner and 53t outer, but to be honest I hardly use the 53 because most of my riding is in hilly places, and for me the ratios from the 40t work nicely with the BWR hub, particularly in direct drive mode.

At the York Rally I saw @kimble 's Brompton with the Kinetics/Sturmey 8spd hub, plus a triple on the front, using the outer mount for a chainguard.
Ooo, she's never shown that to me!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I was using a 54 and 38 combo for a while both with a single speed and with a regular SA 3 speed. I like having my 38 on the outside, because it made switching the chain easier. I could not find a chain ring smaller than 38 for a 130 BCD crank. Since you have a 2 cog rear wheel it would probably be best to go with the smaller chain ring on the inside. I found that if I left it on the 38 when I folded the bike the chain would come off but it isn't hard to just put it on the big chain ring. I did not need to change the 119 mm JIS BB is now use. i do not know what an OH tour is but for my riding when I have a lengthy climb it is no big thing to stop, move the chain and go on or vice versa. Using a wax or drilube type chain lube means your fingers stay a lot cleaner.
Ta .... Outer Hebrides ( and Skye).

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Mmmm 50/28 would give 19" to 100" That's a fair range!
And it's the cheapest option by far. The yahoo Brompton wiki page has a list of the parts required, which is basically; a ring, 5 spacers (or 10 if they've not got the right ones in stock), 5 long ring bolts, BB spacer and an hour of your time.

Words of warning though, once you you can get into the hills because of the increased gearing - you will start contemplating more expensive options - and yearn for a Rohloff, been there done that. It's like a manual move double chainring starts you off down a path of addiction.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

And it's the cheapest option by far. The yahoo Brompton wiki page has a list of the parts required, which is basically; a ring, 5 spacers (or 10 if they've not got the right ones in stock), 5 long ring bolts, BB spacer and an hour of your time.

Words of warning though, once you you can get into the hills because of the increased gearing - you will start contemplating more expensive options - and yearn for a Rohloff, been there done that. It's like a manual move double chainring starts you off down a path of addiction.
Just realised that my spider won't take a 28T I'm certain. I'll check the BCD when I have a mo ...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

FF - the other option is to stick to the 44 ring and walk up the occasional steep hill. Obviously you'd need some flat shoes - remove the SPD pedals. That way you'll get to spend some more time contemplating the beautiful scenery without expensive surgery.
WHAT??? And miss an upgrade opportunity? What are you thinking ....

Top Bottom