Double or Triple chain rings ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
riding at 40mph would add the need for another five or six gears stright away, I doubt too many on here need gearing for that

it's not just about 'needing' an extra ring, it's about considering the gearings between front and rear surely?, if te small chaing ring is small enough for hills and he big big enough for anything usual then where's the problem? I haven't used the smaller ring of my double yet, granted I don't do hills but that includes dun and a Southend via Greenwich

I notice that on a double I can use the whole cassette, I couldn't do that on a triple, different bike granted

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
another vote for triple.

my riding this weekend has seen speeds varying between 8kmh and 75kph. never had the problem of the wrong gear, other than when i ran out of lower gears at 30x25 and had to grind away.

and when you're knackered from all that, you can spin home in a low gear.

Steve B

alecstilleyedye said:
another vote for triple.

my riding this weekend has seen speeds varying between 8kmh and 75kph. never had the problem of the wrong gear, other than when i ran out of lower gears at 30x25 and had to grind away.

and when you're knackered from all that, you can spin home in a low gear.

:biggrin: I would need to fall of a cliff to reach 75kph :sad:

Tynan

Veteran
ruunning out of gears is a matter of having the wrong lowest gear surely/too big a small chain ring, not a matter of not having a third chain ring

Pottsy

Was it weight (kg) x BMI / Square root of # of kebabs should be greater or equal to gear inches x hill gradient / favourite number ?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacBludgeon said:
cos he normally gives good advice

Who can forget the "putting your tyres in the oven just after you have baked a coffee and walnut cake" as an aid to easier fitting. :smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Who can forget the "putting your tyres in the oven just after you have baked a coffee and walnut cake" as an aid to easier fitting. :smile:

that one was Jim was it, okay sometimes insane advice then

Allda Pies

I've recently changed from a double to a triple chainring and I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I have made. I rode half of the Dragon Ride route yesterday including the three biggest climbs and while I could have done it on the 'old bike' it was definitely much easier and far more enjoyable on the current machine. Why grind up a climb when you can ride it just as quick in a lower/easier gear? Maybe if I laid off the pies I could have stuck with a 'double' ;)

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Allda Pies said:
I've recently changed from a double to a triple chainring and I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions I have made. I rode half of the Dragon Ride route yesterday including the three biggest climbs and while I could have done it on the 'old bike' it was definitely much easier and far more enjoyable on the current machine. Why grind up a climb when you can ride it just as quick in a lower/easier gear? Maybe if I laid off the pies I could have stuck with a 'double' :angry:

Ok I will stick with triples then.Anyone who rides a bike in the Rhondda knows about hill climbing :smile:

kimolsen

Dalestar said:
I changed from double to triple. Living near the peak district and struggling up the steep hills it makes a big difference going up.

I live near the Peak District and have just bought a second hand Cannondale with double ring. Previously i was riding a Hybrid with a triple and i found the hills a lot easier.

I have an Ultegra groupset, would it be expensive to switch to a triple?

Top Bottom