double ring to triple conversion---help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack.joff

Hi all,
I'm something of a novice at this whole bike thing so go easy please!
I'm thinking of changing out my double chainset for a triple---this is because I'm a wouss and I want to go cycling in hilly places and I don't stand much of a chance on my current gearing. It's standard road gearing I think, my bike's a Saracen Sestriere which as far as I call tell is an entry level road/racing bike which has done me very well so far for (cross)training.
I initially thought it would be as easy as buying a triple ring, and then somehow screwing it on. But the more I read about it, the more it looks like I have to change. New cranks would come with it, I gather, but my front mech would have to change, is that right? How would I know which new front mech to buy so that it would work with a triple? And something about bottom brackets? Does this need to be bought seperately? I know these are truly retarded questions, but I'm going on the principle that if I don't try and fix/change things by myself then I'll never learn! So if anyone could explain these things to me in words of one syllable or less I'd be grateful.
Thanks!
Joff

J.J. you will need to buy a triple chainset, a new triple front mech as a double doesn't have enough "throw". A new bottom bracket would also be required, and I would recommend changing it anyway when you change to a new chainset.

Hope this helps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on, what sort of gear changers do you have - if just down tube levers then fine, but if STI type then it's new shifters as well !

How about a compact - just a new chain set, and an adjustment to your front mech !

OP
OP
J

jack.joff

fossyant said:
Hold on, what sort of gear changers do you have - if just down tube levers then fine, but if STI type then it's new shifters as well !
ehhhh... after a bit of googling (thankyou wikipaedia!) I have determined I do indeed have STI shifters. bugger.
fossyant said:
How about a compact - just a new chain set, and an adjustment to your front mech !
compact---is that just a smaller small ring, as it were? or are both rings smaller? I'm quite happy with the upper ranges of my gears (the only reason going uphill is worth it is if you get to go super fast downhill!) if it's one smaller ring, can a normal road front mech cope with the increased difference in size of the rings?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice so far!
Joff

Forgot about STI's Sorry J.J. And if you go triple you'll need a new rear mech too! Be cheper to buy a complete new triple groupset really.

Or as Fossyant says get a compact chainset. It'll be easier and cheaper. You'll need a different front mech though. You'll get lowered gearing, but you don't lose much at the top but gain in the bottom where it's needed. And you keep every other component. Though I'd change the BB as well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lardyboy said:
Forgot about STI's Sorry J.J. And if you go triple you'll need a new rear mech too! Be cheper to buy a complete new triple groupset really.

Or as Fossyant says get a compact chainset. It'll be easier and cheaper. You'll need a different front mech though. You'll get lowered gearing, but you don't lose much at the top but gain in the bottom where it's needed. And you keep every other component. Though I'd change the BB as well.
A standard front mech will be just as good as a compact specific one. I am using both and there is no difference.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lardyboy said:
Doesn't work with Campag, had to fit a compact specific. :boxing:
Both mine are Campag. All chainrings are the same shape and size no matter who makes them. If Shimano, Stronglight, TA et all work without the need for a special mech there is no reason Campag won't.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jack.joff said:
I initially thought it would be as easy as buying a triple ring, and then somehow screwing it on.

You can get a triple converter chainring. This is a replacement small chainring that has tabs protruding towards the BB axle with a second set of bolt holes for a 3rd chainring. You'll also need another set of bolts and some spacers.

Whether you'd need a longer BB axle will depend on how long your current axle is, and on your existing frame clearances. I'd be inclined to try it and see if it was OK before getting a replacement. The same goes for the front mech - it may well work OK.
A quick google says that the Sestriere uses Tiagra shifters, and that they are suitable for double or triple.

OP
OP
J

jack.joff

andrew_s said:
You can get a triple converter chainring.
A quick google says that the Sestriere uses Tiagra shifters, and that they are suitable for double or triple.
This sounds like an interesting option---so the new ring just screws onto my old two, effectively, and I can probably keep my shifters, but would have to replace the front mech? This is all evidently going to need some thinking about!

OP
OP
J

jack.joff

Noodley said:
what is your rear cassette? 12-25? Maybe look at higher....29?
don't know, haven't looked..! I am quite happy with my upper gears, and the spacing between gears, would getting a new cassette mean changing either of these, or can you get a cassette with more gears on?
Cheers
Joff

Globalti

Legendary Member
You would do better to find a good bike shop and ask the mechanic. Take a packet of biscuits with you and go at a quiet time if you can.

Top Bottom