Double Shift??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm assuming it is when you depress the right hand shifter more and it shifts down 2 cogs at a time.

GrasB

Veteran
When you change the chainring & also change the gear on the cassette at the same time. E.g. shift from a 39t chainring on a 14t cog to the 53t chainring on the 19t cog in one movement.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks. I have been double shifting (without knowing the term for it) on the hybrid quite a lot but not really found the need on the roadbike or maybe just not had the confidence. Could be because the cogs on the hybrid are much bigger steps than the 10 speed 11/25 on the roadbike.

There both triples.Road bike has 30/39/50 chainrings

jimboalee

This is a tecnique that was very tricky in the up-gear direction when downtube shifters were norm.

Downshifting.
With the right hand, the rear mech shifter was nudged forward by holding it between the middle and ring finger PALM UP, while pushing the front mech shifter forward with the thumb.

Upshifting.
Try pulling the front mech shifter back and nudging the rear mech shifter back at the same time :biggrin:
You have to hook your thumb round the front mech shifter and grab the rear mech shifter with the third and little finger.

Now try doing these shifts with integrated brake/gear levers. Easy, isn't it?

summerdays said:
I'm assuming it is when you depress the right hand shifter more and it shifts down 2 cogs at a time.

summerdays said:
I assumed wrongly:blush::biggrin:
I've always thought that too :becool: with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've always thought that too :becool: with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift

Don't think that's a shifter trick though, it's more your gears are wrongly indexed.

jimboalee

With friction downtube and bar-end or shifters, or indexing downtube and bar-end shifters, you can change up and down as many sprockets as you like in one swoop.

Many a time I have climbed up a short sharp hill in small ring/largish cog, and when over the apex of the hill, changed to the big ring and slapped the rear mech changer forward three or four cogs, or even five to dump the gearing in top ratio.

With Shimano Tiagra and Ultegra on my bikes now, slapping the chain down to the small cog is a multi-blow affair repeadedly pumping the small lever. I should be accelerating fast, not waiting for the chain to drop down the cassette.

oliver

Moodyman said:
I've always thought that too :evil: with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift

Don't think that's a shifter trick though, it's more your gears are wrongly indexed.

well most the bikes i know of and have ridden, have this capability, and all have on the rear changer (most recent i can think of is the sora 9speed triple, which does on both shifters- or at least mine does;))

MGBLemonrider

oliver said:
well most the bikes i know of and have ridden, have this capability, and all have on the rear changer (most recent i can think of is the sora 9speed triple, which does on both shifters- or at least mine does;))

Yep, my Sora also goes down 2 gears on the cassette at a time on a full swing, only up one though as a thumb lever.
Being a double i can't comment on the front, other than you can trim it.

jimboalee

The Simplex system on my Pug goes from one end of the block to the other with one swift movement of the lever.

Experienced duffers like me and some others here can grab the lever and know which sprocket the chain is on by the lever's position, then they can put the chain on any sprocket by 'feelie touchie' without looking where the lever is. Four or five sprockets at a jump.

Modern systems have indicator windows on the brake hoods to tell the forgetful rider which gear he's in because the lever says nothing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HLaB said:
I've always thought that too :biggrin: with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift :biggrin:

Thanks - for a while there I thought I was the only one:blush:

Moodyman said:
I've always thought that too :biggrin: with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift

I was shown how to do it by the bike shop when I bought the bike so no - not indexed incorrectly.