Double singlespeed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
PROJECT UPDATE

This has worked out really well!

The replacement (not quite so worn) 15 tooth sprocket works well with the new 10 speed chain. I haven't had the chain slip again in the hundreds of kms ridden since the replacement. As the chain starts to wear it should fit the sprocket even better so I hope to get a few thousand kms out of the combination before it needs attention again.

I have only used the 23 tooth sprocket to help the chain up onto the 29 - I haven't actually ridden along in 42/23.

I have never used the 29 on any climb that I had previously managed in my old singlespeed gear. When I am forced to use the 42/29 gear on a tough climb, I always change back to my 42/15 gear as soon as I think I can cope with it, even when it will be hard work for the remainder of the ascent.

The lack of a gear lower than 42/29 makes for a clear delineation between my 2 road bikes... If I can ride a route on this bike without having to walk any of the climbs, or with a maximum of (say) 1 minute of walking, then this is the bike that I use. If I would need the triple chainset of my Cannondale, then that bike gets used instead.

If/when I run out of used 29 tooth sprockets, I would probably start replacing with 30s. I have a couple of those lying around somewhere and might as well take advantage of another 3.5% reduction in my bailout gear ratio.

I use the 14,13 and 12 tooth sprockets on long gradual descents when I want to be riding at 30+ kmph but I stick in the 42/15 up to 30 kmph and for short bursts up to 36 kmph.

I do many of my rides as if the bike were still a singlespeed. This is helped by the fact that the shifter that I fitted is bar-end AND on the left side of the handlebar, rather than the right; I often forget that I can change gears on the bike now!

The mirror that I fitted on the RHS of the bar is very reassuring. I don't use it to make decisions about turning, changing lane etc. but it lets me time looking over my shoulder better to avoid wobbling at critical moments. (Yes, I must start doing exercises for my stiff neck again - it is a safety issue, as well as being uncomfortable.)

The only potential issue now is that this bike has gradually gone from being a cheap DIY singlespeed shopping bike project made using mainly spare parts, to a nice 6-speed bike with some good new components added, which I would be very upset to lose if some lowlife nicked it while I was in a shop!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have just been looking around furtively to make sure that nobody is watching the act of shame! :whistle:

Actually, a special gear changing ceremony would be good. I might announce it in a thunderous voice - "Stay back - I am about to engage warp drive!"

Everyone turns and waits for the thunderous acceleration. And suddenly your speed drops to walking pace with your feet twiddling like crazy as you engage your climbing gear.

Top Bottom