Double singlespeed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am thinking of converting my singlespeed bike to a double singlespeed (2 chainrings and 2 sprockets)***.

1 ring and 1 sprocket would be what I use now - 52/19. I have done thousands of kms in that ratio and it is great for flat rides, or undulating ones with no really steep climbs and only short ramps of around 10%.

The thing is, we have a lot of steep climbs around here. For the steepest ones I would always use my best bike, which has a triple chainset giving a very handy 28/30 bottom gear.

There are other routes which are too hard for my 52/19 ratio, but not so steep that I need the triple. Here are 3 example profiles...

If I set the singlespeed up with a 42 ring and a 29 sprocket then the total number of teeth would be the same as before, so maybe I could get away with using the same length chain? I could use the chain tensioner to take up a small amount of extra slack in the chain if need be.

Those intermediate routes are not particularly challenging on the triple but could be a REAL challenge (for me) but still rideable in a 42/29 gear. That's something I would like to try.

I have the 42 ring and some 29 sprockets so it won't take much work to give this a go, but perhaps I will try riding around on my best bike in the nearest equivalent ratio and see how I get on.

The plan would be to select the gear at home before setting out on the ride; no gear changing out on the road. I reckon I could move the chain and adjust the tensioner in a couple of minutes, including degreasing my hands afterwards!

The 52/19 gear suits me best at 20-30 kph, so the 42/29 would only be good for (say) 11-17 kph. That is too slow for riding far on the flat, but the routes I have in mind involve either a very short warm-up on the flat, or a long drag up a 2% gradient, so speed would not be an issue early in the ride. Those routes top out and then largely end downhill; I could just freewheel on the descents. I checked on some of the gentler descents today - I was spinning out in 52/19 anyway so a low ratio would make little difference on them either way.

Have any of you ever done anything like this?

*** If this idea is a success, I might eventually go for a second bike option - singlespeed bike #1 permanently 52/19; singlespeed bike #2 permanently 42 (or 39)/29 (or 30). The first bike was largely built from spare parts. I'd do the same for a second bike. It's not something I'd want to spend hundreds of pounds on.

Venod

Eh up
I have run one of these before, I think Sram do one also.

https://road.cc/content/review/33373-sturmey-archer-s2-kickshift-hub

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
That's an interesting device. I think a 53" climbing gear would still be too tough for me though! My 42/29 would be more like 38".

Oh, thanks. I just Googled that and found lots of stuff to look at later!

I had a into look into it myself, when I first built the single speed. I also considered a 3x1 setup, but that would have required a tensioner.

I think if I did consider gears, I would probably go the same way a mate of mine did, and put a three speed SA hub on the rear

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
How about a flippable rear wheel with sprockets with different teeth numbers both sides? An option often deployed by fixed riders.
I use that, but it does limit you to a couple of teeth difference depending on the length of your dropouts.

A really low gear would be better singlespeed than fixed.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have different sets of front chainrings and rear sprockets for my track bike.

If each set of chainring and sprocket's tooth count are the same, or one difference, they usually work fine with the same chain.

Track bike riders have been doing this for as long as they have been racing. Different chainrings or Sprockets or chain lengths for different venues/events.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I already have the spare chainring on the bike and can replace one of the spacers on the back with the 29 tooth sprocket so it it will be a quick (and free!) conversion.

I might give it a try tomorrow.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I am thinking of converting my singlespeed bike to a double singlespeed (2 chainrings and 2 sprockets)***.

1 ring and 1 sprocket would be what I use now - 52/19. I have done thousands of kms in that ratio and it is great for flat rides, or undulating ones with no really steep climbs and only short ramps of around 10%.

The thing is, we have a lot of steep climbs around here. For the steepest ones I would always use my best bike, which has a triple chainset giving a very handy 28/30 bottom gear.

There are other routes which are too hard for my 52/19 ratio, but not so steep that I need the triple. Here are 3 example profiles...

View attachment 640011

View attachment 640012

View attachment 640013
If I set the singlespeed up with a 42 ring and a 29 sprocket then the total number of teeth would be the same as before, so maybe I could get away with using the same length chain? I could use the chain tensioner to take up a small amount of extra slack in the chain if need be.

Those intermediate routes are not particularly challenging on the triple but could be a REAL challenge (for me) but still rideable in a 42/29 gear. That's something I would like to try.

I have the 42 ring and some 29 sprockets so it won't take much work to give this a go, but perhaps I will try riding around on my best bike in the nearest equivalent ratio and see how I get on.

The plan would be to select the gear at home before setting out on the ride; no gear changing out on the road. I reckon I could move the chain and adjust the tensioner in a couple of minutes, including degreasing my hands afterwards!

The 52/19 gear suits me best at 20-30 kph, so the 42/29 would only be good for (say) 11-17 kph. That is too slow for riding far on the flat, but the routes I have in mind involve either a very short warm-up on the flat, or a long drag up a 2% gradient, so speed would not be an issue early in the ride. Those routes top out and then largely end downhill; I could just freewheel on the descents. I checked on some of the gentler descents today - I was spinning out in 52/19 anyway so a low ratio would make little difference on them either way.

Have any of you ever done anything like this?

*** If this idea is a success, I might eventually go for a second bike option - singlespeed bike #1 permanently 52/19; singlespeed bike #2 permanently 42 (or 39)/29 (or 30). The first bike was largely built from spare parts. I'd do the same for a second bike. It's not something I'd want to spend hundreds of pounds on.
I had exactly the same idea!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am going to try doing one of those hilly loops on my best bike with the gear kept at 28/19, which is near enough equivalent to 42/29. If I like it, I will go ahead with the dinglespeed project.

I doubt that I will be able to use 28/17 but if I can, that would be equivalent to my next higher option - 42/26. Forget that - different chain lengths!

I had exactly the same idea!
A 'dinglespeed' or 2 singlespeeds?

Sharky

Guru
I ran with a standard double on the front (42/52) and a double fixed track hub. One side a small (14)cog and the other something like an 18.
Used the small/big to give a comfortable gear for riding out to events before flipping to a big/small to give a time trial gear of about 88".
Had horizontal track ends, so easy to take up any chain slack.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I ran with a standard double on the front (42/52) and a double fixed track hub. One side a small (14)cog and the other something like an 18.
Used the small/big to give a comfortable gear for riding out to events before flipping to a big/small to give a time trial gear of about 88".
Had horizontal track ends, so easy to take up any chain slack.
I have been thinking about it... I probably would do the A646 from Todmorden to Cliviger in the higher gear. It gains 100 m in 5 km so that is an average gradient of only 2% and then the road goes downhill at 2% for another 2.5 km. It would be a right pain crawling along that in the lower gear for 7.5 km!

I will make sure that I carry a piece of rag or a rubber glove to keep my hands clean when shifting the chain.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Double single-speed was standard practice in the mid-1930s. Rear wheels were threaded for a fixed sprocket on both sides of the hub so that competitors in the Tour de France, for example, could stop at the foot of a mountain, undo the wheel with the new-fangled wing-nuts, turn it round and engage the larger sprocket for the climb. The procedure was repeated at the summit of the col to engage the smaller sprocket again. Rear ends were long enough to take up the differences in axle position with no need for any tensioning devices.
1649987843609.png

Wing nuts and two sprockets clearly visible on the bike on the left. I have heard that the leading riders of the day knew that less experienced riders would take their cue from the champions to choose the right moment to change gear. As a result les grands would sometimes stop on a small rise well before a climb, turn their rear wheel through 360° and break away easily as the bunch, twiddling madly on a small gear, found it impossible to keep up.
No reason why you should not adopt the same system today:
1649988918324.png

Just build the wheel and add wing nuts or a QR axle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom