Double singlespeed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You cold have 8 gears with an Alfine hub šŸ‘

You are not paying attention... I already had one bike with 30 gears, another with 27 gears, one with 20 gears, one with 11 gears and one singlespeed bike. I simply wanted to make the singlespeed bike more usable in the hills while keeping it simple. I don't need yet another bike with lots of gears! :okay:

Having said that, I would like to own a bike with a 14-speed Rohloff hub, especially one with belt drive... :whistle:

GuyBoden

Guru
I've just checked my two setups for my track bike:

46 + 16 = 62, this combination is for the training rollers in the garage, mainly for winter or when it's raining. Gear is 2.9

40 + 21 = 61, this combination is for pootling around Cheshire with my wife in the summer on sunny days. Gear is 1.9

I can swap between the two combinations without removing the chain, but I have to swap the chainring and sprocket.

It's not "Dingle speed", so not as convenient as your creative setup.:okay:

Edit: I calculate your "Dingle speed" gear as 1.4

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I watched an interesting video last night where someone made his own half-link to make his chain the perfect length for a singlespeed bike with vertical dropouts and no chain tensioner.

It wouldn't help me as much because I need 2 different chain lengths depending which gear I am using. I could use less tensioning in the lower gear and virtually none in the higher gear though.

It was a clever idea but I am not sure that I would trust a DIY half-link. I think I will buy some instead!

GuyBoden

Guru
I watched an interesting video last night where someone made his own half-link to make his chain the perfect length for a singlespeed bike with vertical dropouts and no chain tensioner.

It wouldn't help me as much because I need 2 different chain lengths depending which gear I am using. I could use less tensioning in the lower gear and virtually none in the higher gear though.

It was a clever idea but I am not sure that I would trust a DIY half-link. I think I will buy some instead!
I'd put the 30T sprocket on, yes, that new one in the box, sitting there, doing nothing.:laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd put the 30T sprocket on, yes, that new one in the box, sitting there, doing nothing.:laugh:

Have you seen the price of Campagnolo 10-speed 12-30 cassettes!

I probably will put a 30 on but if I do it will be a used one. If I have one lying about it will be that one, otherwise I will take the 30 off the used cassette on the best bike and put a new cassette on.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

keithmac

Guru
You are not paying attention... I already had one bike with 30 gears, another with 27 gears, one with 20 gears, one with 11 gears and one singlespeed bike. I simply wanted to make the singlespeed bike more usable in the hills while keeping it simple. I don't need yet another bike with lots of gears! :okay:

Having said that, I would like to own a bike with a 14-speed Rohloff hub, especially one with belt drive... :whistle:

I saw a lovely belt drive with Shimano hubbed bike a while back but no room for it unfortunately!.

I have two bikes with Gates Carbon Drive and it really is a good system imho.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Now we are getting to the truth. Forget all this stuff about simplicity - the real reason for riding a SS is masochism. :laugh:

TBH I used to think the same as you. I had spoken to many riders who are avid fans of fixed. It always seemed a bit odd to me, but when I started riding a simple singlespeed bike built mainly from spare parts I started to get it. I don't contemplate switching to fixed round here, but I do like the singlespeed and double singlespeed is kind of the same thing with a compromise to get me up onto the hilltops.

I have just moved the big sprocket over one spacer. As I mentioned above, it does not improve the chainline, but it will prevent the chain getting stuck between the 2 sprockets when I do my manual gear changes.

I am nipping over to Hebden Bridge on the bike soon. I will go along the flattish valley road in the 52/19 gear, but if it stays dry I might change gear for the return journey and ride up through Colden and Blackshaw Head to the Long Causeway before dropping back to the valley. I am well used to that loop on my triple chainset best bike. It will be interesting to see how riding the 2 x 1 compares to it.

Sharky

Guru
On my Bowery 72, which has true horizontal track ends, I can use an 18t tooth giving a 68" gear upto a 13t giving about a 90+" gear. All using the same chain length and chainring.

GuyBoden

Guru
On my Bowery 72, which has true horizontal track ends, I can use an 18t tooth giving a 68" gear upto a 13t giving about a 90+" gear. All using the same chain length and chainring.

Yes, as I stated earlier, having a range of sprockets is standard practice for track cyclists. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am back. I had a good spin both ways along the valley road. I had forgotten that a family Zoom meeting was scheduled for 17:00 so I rushed back. I am sitting here at 17:20 and no sign of the others - typical!

If I had taken the slow, scenic route no doubt the meeting would have started on time and I would be told off for being late! :laugh:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I must say, I do enjoy commuting single-speed more than the 3x10, plus I think it definately makes you a better (if not more efficient) rider

Top Bottom