Double Fixed Wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi Guys.. I have just got myself a Specialized Langster and want to change the rear sprockets. Now I have seen a fixed/ freewheel wheel with the two sprockets on the same side. ( two one side and none the other) but can't find them anywhere so can anyone help in there location.

Cheers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi Guys.. I have just got myself a Specialized Langster and want to change the rear sprockets. Now I have seen a fixed/ freewheel wheel with the two sprockets on the same side. ( two one side and none the other) but can't find them anywhere so can anyone help in there location.

Cheers.

Mine's double fixed. The bike's from Condor in London so they would stock the hubs and build wheels if you wanted. Their wheels have been excellent

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same side, you wont find them. You ideally need a flip flop hub. Choices of fixed/fixed or fixed/freewheel. Sprocket each side.

Possibly was a bodge that you saw, but most importantly, the chain line will be poor and increases the chances of throwing the chain, which is something you don't want on a fixed.

Sharky

Guru
https://www.harriscyclery.net/product/surly-dingle-dual-fixed-gear-cog-17-19-teeth-3-32-2464.htm

This sort of sprocket
Just got to find somewhere where they are in stock

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Given that the chain needs to be slackened to move it between sprockets, I don't see the point. You'd need to carry a 15mm spanner anyway, and I wouldn't want to risk the compromised chain line.
I've had a rear wheel lock up at 15 mph - 0/10 Would not repeat.

Sharky

Guru
I had a set up once with a double 5242 on the front, with a flip flop rear with something like 14/17.

I Could train or ride out to an event using 42-17, flop the rear wheel and ride 52-14 for a time trial. May not have been those exact numbers, but the horizontal rear end coped with the required chain tension.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It only appears to make sense if you also have a 2 sprocket difference dual set up on the front to match it

1621597301113.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How would you get the chain off without loosening the wheel?
no idea I've never used one. references to hades above suggests with difficulty.:okay:

potentially run your chain slack enough to accommodate changing set ups but tight enough so it doesn't unchain whilst riding - imagine that's a hard point to find :laugh: and you're better of carrying a spanner with you, in which case you might as well flip flop.

probably why you don't see many around

Top Bottom