Double take - 2nd Royal Enfield Zephyr - almost finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok couldn't help myself and went to get the other Royal Enfield. It's not in as good condition as the other and is missing the seat, badge, crank and bb cups. At least I don't have to worry about a stuck seat post. Wheels aren't too good but will do until I can get some nice ones. It now allows me to be able to release the other one to someone more serious about their bikes as it will be all original except for the cables, tyres and tubes and I can knock about on the one that will be redone to my own special specification.

Ps don't tell mrs Tony

Pps the chip on the stem wasn't me, it was already there.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Look forward to seeing more!

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Just as a quick fix just going to strip the back and give it a quick lick of paint to stop corrosion. The other front fork leg will be taken back to the chrome and may be left as is after a good polishing. This bike has now been claimed by my son so he can take to university. Need to get a few bits to finish it. Need to check tpi so that I can get a bottom bracket and spindle set up. I've seen a nice modern single speed crankset that would look nice on it. Then just the wheels and derallieur to sort. Damn it's never ending.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok here's an update on this project.

Have tidied up the back end, stripped cleaned and polished chrome. Obtained Lycett swallow seat, new seat post, bottom bracket and a set of weinmann vanquer center pulls (front to be cleaned, polished and regreased). Made and laced leather handlebar covers.
Rear alesa 700c 40h rim being built up at lbs (damn expensive) with original flip flop hub. Have brake and gear cables to put on when I get the wheels sorted.

Still need to get a nice chain wheel and front wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok managed to get around to pretty much finishing this. Need to give it a good run as I think it needs a new freewheel. Will try and get a picture of them both when I get time. Also need to finish the fixed gear side. Have a dura ace 15t cog on ready. Think I need a half link in the chain (not the one attached but the one in the saddle bag).

Last thing to do is fix the badge on.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 47
Both your Zephyrs look really good. I'm currently restoring a Zephyr myself but the paintwork and decals are not as good as yours. Quite a lot of original parts still fitted including the Brampton Alatet headset and Brampton bottom bracket. The front wheel is OK with Resilion 32 hole hub on a Dunlop Special Lightweight rim. During its life someone has stripped away the original gears and shifter and replaced it all with Huret Allvit system. The rear wheel has also been changed at sometime to Schurmann Super, on the plus side it has the GB Capo Berta handlebars, GB Stem and the GB Sport Mk 3 brake calipers and levers.
Wondering if I've bitten more than I can chew. Keep the good work Tony.
Mick Holmes
Preston

Top Bottom