Doubly miffed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a Linear Recumbent for sale on Ebay (don't know if it was anyone on here?), didn't sell at first start price so was lowered to £300 and still didn't sell.
Browser is peeved for two reasons;
1) with luck and a following wind I will be getting a redundancy payout soon, some of which would have covered the cost of this bike, but I haven't got £300 at the mo.
2) It's in Ottery St Mary (Devon?) which is 230 miles from me and the seller specified collection only (which is possibly why it didn't sell), which I wouldn't mid driving but I can sense there'd be some 'management disapproval' of such a trek ^_^.
I'm going to go away and sulk now!
p.s. the sale has ended for a second time with no buyer. so if/when I get £300 I might try and get in touch and see if they still have it.

THIS one was it?

These look awful weird too me. I'd love a trike though, as a matter of fact oldfatfool of this parish is selling a beauty, but I can't get the funds together for that one either :cry:

It's more than the Linear, but to be fair it's basically brand new. I'm sure he'll hang on to it until your wonga comes through if you fancy it.

Check it out HERE :thumbsup:

The Linear had "issues"

Look at the rear end before you buy.

There were basically two aluminium blades, and these would over time pull to the chain side and need bending back. This could cause stress fractures.

If the rear end has a reinforcing "U plate", this is reduced, and if you have the modern rear assembly this is even less likely, but do check for cracks!

There is more information on the new Linear website

Edited - I should say that I owned one from about 1991 to about 2003 and whilst it creaked, it was a reasonable bike and I toured, commuted and shopped with no problems.

THIS one was it?

These look awful weird too me. I'd love a trike though, as a matter of fact oldfatfool of this parish is selling a beauty, but I can't get the funds together for that one either :cry:

It's more than the Linear, but to be fair it's basically brand new. I'm sure he'll hang on to it until your wonga comes through if you fancy it.

Check it out HERE :thumbsup:
That's the chap!
I'm not as into trikes and 'bent bikes, mainly due to transporting and width concerns (probably unfounded) but I'll take a look.

The Linear had "issues"

Look at the rear end before you buy.

There were basically two aluminium blades, and these would over time pull to the chain side and need bending back. This could cause stress fractures.

If the rear end has a reinforcing "U plate", this is reduced, and if you have the modern rear assembly this is even less likely, but do check for cracks!

There is more information on the new Linear website

Edited - I should say that I owned one from about 1991 to about 2003 and whilst it creaked, it was a reasonable bike and I toured, commuted and shopped with no problems.

You having said trhat has confirmed a concern I had about that back end, doubtless engineerable out but something to be aware of nonetheless, thanks.

Creswell were a firm that made a series of bikes in the 90's including folders. Much of their design work was bought up by Pashley.

Their most successful most product was the U plus two trailer trike. They are like gold dust and stood te test of time.
I don't think many Rapides were made, but it was certainly better engineered than the Linear, but still basic and crude compared to today's machines.

The seat was a criss cross of webbing, ans although it "folded" the differnce in size was hardly worth the effort.

14-T-Max-Cresswell-Rapide-recumbent-Comfort-Max-unknown-Arthur-Middleton-Ian-Pegram.JPG

15-Cresswell-Rapide-recumbent-Monty-1.JPG

16-Cresswell-Rapide-recumbent-Monty-2.JPG

I didn't in the end, as I though I'd probably be better waiting until I had some money togehter then going and speaking to Dtek recumbents to 'try before I buy' and see what really suits me. I'll keep looking on Ebay though :smile:

Top Bottom