Dove award for Decathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Your heart-warming story leaves me feeling decidedly cold and a little annoyed!

Parent A (you) bought your son a cheapish bike but looked after it so it has served you well. Parent B (your friend) bought same bike but allowed it to be abused and neglected to the point that it no longer works. Bike manufacturer for some reason then decides to replace neglected bike FOC.

I don't understand your point. Why has the company replaced the bike? It does them no favours either in the PR stakes or in the long term financially. Now parents C, D, E, F, etc will believe they too can buy cheap bikes, neglect them and then complain to the supplier and receive a new bike. How is this good? It is however indicative of the state of mind of a large portion of society nowadays that refuses to take responsibility for their own actions or inactions and expects somebody/anybody else to sort out the resulting mess. :cursing:

See, now I'm not just a little bit annoyed. Having put it down in writing I am now bloody furious that some fekwit parent has once again been rewarded for being stupid and lazy! Thanks Mr Paul!

Ive always been impressed with decathlon after sales service. Budget bikes and clothes are pretty good as well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They’re on a significant growth programme everywhere, I’ve even got one near me now! In fact there’s a mini store about ten mins ride from me and they’ll order stuff in from the main shop to collect there.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5103535, member: 45"]I'm not bitter. My boy has had a much better ride for the past 12 months. You wouldn't have wanted to see me trying to lever the orange chain from between cassette and spokes on one of the neglected bikes, at the bottom of Park St last summer.[/QUOTE]

Parent is not exactly setting a good example, is he? If children are given bikes as presents it should be made crystal clear at the time that they will be expected to look after and maintain them properly. So in this case, numpty parent and lazy kids get reward for not being arsed to do something simple like putting a bit of oil on the chain and putting a cover over the bikes if they are kept outdoors. Not impressed at all.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5103895, member: 45"]Not all people are like we are about biked.[/QUOTE]

The fact it happens to be a bike is irrelevant, it's the principle of setting a good example to children. On another thread, I was commenting on young people today lacking in practical skills. This is the reason why. You have parents who don't show their kids how to do things, then those kids grow up into adults who are clueless about fixing anything and don't want to get their hands dirty!

Drago

Legendary Member
Fair play to decathlon, that is absolutely stellar. However, it's a bit cheeky to even ask them to pay towards fixing a bike that has been damaged by neglect.

It's a shame Ford don't do that - I could drive my car into the ground, and just claim a new one when it needs a few quid spending to fix it.

Top Bottom