Dover to Oviedo, Northern Spain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
This is a very early look at a potential ride for next summer. Our daughter lives in Asturias, northern Spain, and so we thought we might ride down to see her. The principle of the route is obvious: head south across northern France to somewhere near La Rochelle, then follow the coast to around Bayonne, then via San Sebastian, Bilbao, nr Santander and on to Oviedo.

What I am after is suggestions for long distance cycle paths or routes, quiet lanes and so on.........but particularly, places to avoid. It's already 1000/ 1100 miles, so we don't need any major detours. Anyone got any suggestions?

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Pick up the Camino del Norte from Irun.
Waymarked all the way to Oviedo , plenty of information on line .

lazytyke

Guru
Roughly follow the route of the “Velodessy” down from La Rochelle to Hendaye, then if you want to head East, pick up the coast roads from San Sebastián detouring inland via Guernica and Mungia and then back to coast and on to Santander. Found Spanish drivers to be very considerate to cyclists, at least along that coast.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
See the link in my sig, but instead of using the Canal du Midi carry on south from Bordeaux.

suzeworld

Veteran
See the link in my sig, but instead of using the Canal du Midi carry on south from Bordeaux.

Hi,
Could you post the link here? I don’t see sigs on this phone, but we are exploring ideas to tour next year and trawling around for info/ideas.

Thanks.

MarkF

Guru
The Cantabrian & Asturian coasts are spectacular and really quiet, IMO anyway, and secondary roads practically deserted so I wouldn't worry about cycle paths although I do recall using one for hours heading towards Santander. After the coast you could pick up the Via de la Plata from Gijon straight down to Oviedo.

Edit:- Leaving Bilbao is very hilly for the first 4/5 hours.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Anyone got any thoughts on Calais to La Rochelle, other than just following the 2 long distance cycle paths EV4 and V43? Has anyone experience of these two?

Top Bottom