Down Low Glow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Anyone seen one of these systems?

http://fossilfool.com/testimonials/testimonials.htm

I saw Arch has one on one of her photos in the photo gallery. I thought it might be nice to have such a system for special events like CM and/or the Dun Run.

Anyway, I thought the price was a lot for the above system, so I've bought two red cold cathode computer tubes off the internet (just under a tenner), and now need to knock up a 12V supply and try it out. Chav up my bike, LOL!

Oh dear!! Where will it end. I think you could fit a mighty big subwoofer on your bike....:biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You laugh, but I just bought some Sony bluetooth speakers for my mobile since it has 4GB of space. In theory I could fit them to the tailbox....

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sure your homebuild will sort it, but I gather one of the drawbacks of the Low Down Glow is that it's not guaranteed to be waterproof - not such a problem in California where it's designed, but... I think it was something they were going to work on.

It certainly catches the eye! Let us know how you get on making up your own!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Couldnt you just get some normal bike lights, and put a different colour filter on the front? That would be cheaper and would work pretty much the same.

I used to like the blue lights that went on your dust caps, now they were snazzy.

I did something like that to one of my bikes in the late 80's.I fitted a 6v Fluorescent tube on the top tube.It was only 6 volts so it with with my dynamo system.At the present time I have two moped/motorcyle horns fitted to my bike.They work off of 6v.Very effective tonight with all the moron pedestrians about.(and the odd motorist)...Buttons need repositioning though as they are hard to get to in an emergency.

clefty

Why not get some EL Wire, you can get the 4 ft lengths really cheap on ebay in various colours, i have some blue ones that I'm going to attach to my ride at some point, seem a lot more robust than the tubes and you can wrap them around everything! I've also seen an EL Wire bike kit on ebay..

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
EL wire and glowsticks compared with these cold cathode tubes are probably a bit like comparing a candle flame with a 6W halogen light setup. They are really rather bright!!

spindrift

You laugh, but I just bought some Sony bluetooth speakers for my mobile since it has 4GB of space. In theory I could fit them to the tailbox....

Oh my God, I demand that you explain this further immediately. You could rig up the speakers under the saddle or summat and blast out The Ride Of The Valkyries as you cycle over London Bridge or the Paul Oakenfold Trance Mix as you pedal thu Hyde Park?

Come on!!

How much are these intriguing speakers?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, I never really intended to put them on the bike, it was just a joke. Since my mates have systems like these, I'd feel a bit intimidated:

http://www.bassfreight.com/
http://www.bikeology.net/

Progress on the home made down-low glow: Got a 10 cell AA battery box from Maplins, and it powers two of the cold cathode tubes for 3 hours or so off 2800mah NiMH batteries. Unfortunately miniMikey stepped on one tube and broke it, I'm not amused!

Now to get a replacement, and to solder up and ruggedize the whole system.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I do have a SON dynohub for the recumbent. :biggrin: It might not work so well at Critical Mass and other low speed rides though, not that I go much.